Thursday, December 20, 2012

Whose Fault Is It?

   This post is going to be a little different for me. It might be a little strange, and a lot condensed. I think I could write a book about my feelings on the things I want to talk about today.I started writing a post about my feelings on the Sandy Hook tragedy. I couldn't... I don't know how I feel. There is no possible way I can comprehend what those people are feeling. I don't even have children of my own and my heart is absolutely broken for them. I don't have words for what I feel. So I thought I would address the eminent destruction of our earth tomorrow. But when I went blog-surfing today I noticed eight bloggers out of every ten were posting about Armageddon. I don't believe the hype anyway. I think life will continue on very much like it has been. That's not to say I don't think our world is in jeopardy. So I'm not going to target either subject in particular. I thought I would just write about some of  my concerns with the environment and society.

   I'm just going to dive in head first and take on my biggest environmental concern. Have you ever asked yourself why there is oil in the ground? What's it doing there? What is it's purpose? It has one you know. I'm not an educated man. I dropped out of high-school in the tenth grade. Never been to college. I'm no geologist, but I know that everything in nature has a purpose. Everything carries weight in the balance.
   So, I asked myself what do we use petroleum products for. I can think of hundreds of things, and that's the part that really scares me, we use oil for so many things, we're dependent on it. Anyway, I think I can safely lump most of oils uses into  three categories. The biggest use is obviously fuel. But we also use oil to reduce friction with lubricants, and to regulate temperature in many machines and structures.
   I think it serves similar purposes in the earth. I don't know... Does oil lubricate tectonic plates? If you take too much oil would it cause more earthquakes? Does oil help regulate the temperature of the earths core? If we suck all the oil out of the ground would it cause a global rise in temperature? Maybe we would see more volcanic eruptions, and more intense storms. I know I'm reaching... I don't have any real knowledge of such things. But, it all kinda makes sense in my mind. It seems possible. I may not know what the affects are, but I guarantee there are affects.
   We are now exploiting the deeper reserves of the earth. Every where you go on our coastlines you see the oil rigs searching for oil deeper and deeper. Why? Are the shallower reserves running out? It's not like we can put it back you know.

   And do we really all realize that we need trees to survive on this planet? I don't think we do. We keep cutting down more and more. We don't replace them... We build houses there, and department stores, industries that burn more fuel, and consume more wood.
   And it's not just cutting them down either. There have been massive fire outbreaks all around the world, decimating entire forests.
   Our climate is changing. We have eleven apple trees in our yard. We didn't pick up a single bucket of apples this fall. There weren't any. If trees don't flower and fruit properly, they don't reproduce. If they don't reproduce... Eventually we won't either.

   And what the heck is going on with the animals? Where are the Honey Bees? Why are there whole flocks of birds falling dead from the sky? Why are there fish washing up on shores across world by the tens of thousands? These are our base species, these are animals that we depend on for survival. These are animals that are critical to the balance.

   All these things are happening in our environment. There are a lot of other things going on too.  And quite frankly it scares the hell out of me. But what scares me more than any of this is... Us. People. This is OUR fault. We are the ones responsible. And we seem not to care... We don't do anything about it... We just keep trudging through our daily lives, consuming everything, hoping we make it from one day to the next without being affected by our own neighbors.
   No one takes accountability. We blame things on the Government, we blame things on nature, we blame things on our neighbors. Then we blame things on God. And in the meantime terrorists fly planes into buildings, and blow themselves and whoever else they can to pieces with a bomb. Our brothers and sisters, our mothers and fathers, are dying in wars in foreign lands, were we have no business. The ever looming threat of nuclear war grows while people are killing our children right here in our own schools, on our own streets for Pete's sake. The world has gone crazy.
   We have to wake up. We have to take accountability for the things that happen around us, because we affect those things. We make a difference in what happens around us. We have to take the blinders off and start taking responsibility, and stop passing the buck. We have to think about what we are consuming. Where did it come from? What is it's purpose? Can we replace it? Is there something better we can use? We can't continue to blindly consume whatever is given to us. If we don't consume it, there's no reason to keep producing it. The less we use, the less we have to produce. It's basic logic. We are the ones that are throwing off the balance.
   We have to get involved in our communities. We have to get to know our neighbors. We have to get involved in local government. We have to learn how to handle emergencies ourselves. We have to stop investing all our efforts into technology, and get involved personally. We have to stop being so wrapped up in our own lives and reach out to help someone who needs it. WE have to take responsibility.

   I don't know... Sometimes I think maybe things have gone to far, maybe there are things set in motion with our environment that can't be reversed. Maybe we have over-populated and are now destined to regular outbreaks of violence as people compete for their space in this world. But then, I can't help but believe that if everyone took responsibility for their own actions, and held themselves accountable for the things that happen around them, these things wouldn't happen.

   Maybe, just maybe, if someone would have taken the time, and made the commitment to helping a troubled kid in Connecticut. Maybe there would be twenty-eight people still living there. So the main question I'm left with is, whose fault is it?.. Whose fault is anything really?..
 

29 comments:

  1. Awesome post Jon I am trying to teach my grand daughter accountability and being sensitive two things the world is lacking. Blame everybody and become desensitized has become the new norm. I agree maybe if someone paid attention to a trouble youth this could have been avoided. Interesting hypothesis about the oil..its food for thought.
    t

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail, I'm glad you took the time to read my ramblings. I think you hit the nail on the head with being desensitized becoming normal. The oil thing... I don't know. I let my thoughts wander sometimes. But it is something to think about. I appreciate you taking the time to give me your thoughts. See ya'.

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with everything you said here Jon, but never could have expressed it as eloquently as you do. Thanks for your thought-provoking words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey what's up? Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! I didn't expect to see you here Melissa. You made my night. Thanks for the nice words. I don't really prepare for posts. Half the time I don't even know what I'm going to write about when I sit down. I just start writing. So it's nice to hear that people like to read it. I hope you and all your critters are happy and safe this season. Merry Christmas! And thanks for leaving me a message.

      Delete
  3. No doubt we are destroying the planet--we take all of our natural resources of granted. We live in a throw-away, "replaceable" society--and now even human beings feel the same way about each other. It is a mindset that we have fallen into caused be the desensitizing of media overload. We lost our innocence during Vietnam, and it was all brought right into our living rooms nighty via a fascinating contraption known as a TV. Fast forward 35 years and we no longer flinch when we watch someone shot in the news or people dying by the hundreds from starvation. We chop down our forests for flashy hotels, theme parks, and casinos because that is what people want--entertainment above all else. We pay obscene amounts of money to our pro- athletes but our teachers, soldiers and law enforcement barely make enough to get by. What does that tell you about our society? We are motivated by greed and speed---everyone wants to be the first, the richest, the best. Humans have lost their way and they've lost their spirituality. When I was growing up, EVERYONE went to church on Sunday and there were NO stores open, no malls. It was a day meant to be spent in meditation and appreciation of your family. Now? I can count on one hand the people I know who still make it to church, and most like to spend their day trolling the local malls or movie theaters. Hope, love and faith have been replaced by despair, hatred and a lack of belief in anything other than the almighty dollar. But I CAN still look around, see the beauty, and believe that there IS hope. There IS love. We just need to have faith in one another, and a belief in something much larger than ourselves. The problem is we are nothing more than a blip on the screen--we can't see the whole picture yet---but when we do, all the pieces will fall into place.
    Sorry--your post just sent my mind down a very long path of contemplation. I probably won't be able to sleep tonight because I'm too busy thinking about your oil theory, and I think you are onto something here.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey MM! Thanks for weighing in. I see I sparked a fire in you with this one. Sorry for any lost sleep. :)

      It can really be overwhelming when you start thinking about all the things that are wrong in the world, all the things that are wrong with us.
      You are right though. There is beauty. Lots of it, it's all around us... We just need to see it. Often in my posts I try to show the beauty of the things I see by sharing my photos, and my experiences that go with them. I think because I do see and recognize that beauty, it makes it that much more important to me, to try to spread this message.
      I know there is love, I'm surrounded by it everyday. I have the best people in my life today. Real, genuine, caring, compassionate, loving people.
      I try to have hope. That is a harder one for me though. I'm not going to lie about that. I refer to my past often. A lot of times I try to compare were I have been to where I am. And I try to show that even though I have made a lot of bad decisions, I turned out okay. I've got a lot going for me. I try to show that in my daily life I have hope for continuing to make a better future for myself, and those around me. But I have a problem when when I try to look at things in the bigger picture. You see, even though I am surrounded by all these truly wonderful people. My faith in mankind, in humanity, and in society has been shattered. And that makes it harder for me to hold that hope on a grander scale.
      It's not hard for me to imagine, to believe... That we are a part of something much bigger, because when I think about things like this I feel so insignificant. But If I try to make a difference, and you try to make a difference, and our families and neighbors try to make a difference, things might start happening. But I think it's a stretch to believe that this will happen.
      On a final note. You said something that I really hoped I would hear. And there is no need to apologize for it. You said something that let me know I achieved my goal with this post. "your post just sent my mind down a very long path of contemplation." I write about a lot of different things here on my blog. I say it all the time, it's all just my opinions... Nothing more. I don't want people to take the things I say as fact. I don't want people to jump on a bandwagon and subscribe to what I believe or think. I very well could be wrong about the things I say. All I really want to do is make people think, to contemplate. I hope that my views make others look at things differently than they might have otherwise. (But I do think I'm onto something with the oil...)
      Thanks again MM for speaking your mind, and leaving your own thought provoking opinions. I'll be seeing you around...

      Delete
  4. Jon, I have always wondered that also. What could happen with us taking so much oil out of our Earth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whats up cuz! So glad you chimed in. It's definitely something that needs to be thought about. Like I said I may not know what it's purpose, but I'm sure it has one. Personally, I think continuing to take more and more is a BIG mistake.

      Delete
  5. I agree, it is our fault. Thanks for the nice post Jon. Glad I came by

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Milind, I'm glad you came by too. Thanks for the nice comment. Thanks also for sharing my post with your friends. I'm sure I'll be seeing more of you around the blogoshere.

      Delete
  6. We are not destroying the planet. We can't. We can destroy the eco system that gives us life.. .but we can't destroy the planet. As George Carlin said: "The Planet is fine. . .the people are fuc$ed."

    But we like to pretend that the world is static, unchanging. This is why the creation myth lends comfort to so many. We don't like to think of the world we live on changing, but it does. Have we helped it along? Oh sure. Does it change anyway? Yes. Will we change with it? Depends.

    If you stop to think about it. Right now. . .you (where ever you happen to be) You are sitting at the bottom of a large gravity well and are standing on a plate of rock that is floating around on a lake of magma like a cork in a dish of water. You are right now spinning at several thousand miles per hour, on a planet that is, itself, spinning around a massive nuclear/fusion explosion. This whole whirling collection of objects is, itself, spinning around in a large cluster of bodies in a far flung arm of spinning, whirling masses that turn on the edges of a massive black hole.

    And *this* collection of massive swirling bodies is churning away and hurling through the black void at millions of miles per hour.

    All this, and we invent boredom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sup Dude... Glad you came by. Even happier you left your opinion.

      I love George Carlin. I think he was raunchy, crude, rude, offensive, and vile. I also think he was a genius, a master of his art, and a profound person in his own right. But I don't agree with everything he said.

      If we destroy the eco-system that sustains life here, don't we in essence destroy the planet? Yes, there will still be a big rock hurtling through space. But what good is it if it can't support life? Is it the planet as it is supposed to be? No, It's destroyed. It's function would be as dead as us.

      The world we live in is really a miracle in it's own right. We have the perfect conditions to support life. The right gasses in the atmosphere, we are at an ideal distance from the sun, which give us an ideal climate we can survive in. We have the precise combination of organic life, to create a regenerating cycle of life, death, decomposition, and rebirth. Change any one factor of our environment, and the potential for huge impact on life is probable.

      I like your analogy of our planet, I have my own theories about space and time too. I think they might make a good post in the future. Thanks for planting that seed.

      I have to say, I am very pleased to get some of the comments I have gotten on this post. I have had more people that I know personally chime in with their thoughts than any other post I've written. That is one of the things I hoped would happen from the time I started writing this blog.

      So really, sincerely... Thanks for your thoughts NK. Glad to hear from you.



      Delete
    2. Well here's the thing. . .(well. . a thing anyway). . .

      1) This planet is a miracle only in the sense that we haven't found another *like* it. But that does not mean that this planet is the only one that *can* support life, it's the only one we know of that can support life *as we understand it*.

      See, Life (as a proper noun) is a funny thing. It's tenacious, it adapts, it hangs in there and has a tendency to show up where we don't think it can exist.

      We could poison the air into soup and kill every single living thing that walks on the surface of this planet and the planet will take a couple thousand years and will fix itself. It may not return to the world we know now. . but it will shake us off, and new life will form and evolve. So yes . . .we can kill the planet in terms of ourselves. . but we can't destroy the planet. We lack that power. The planet has been here for around 4.5 billion years. It had in that time endured cosmic storms, asteroid impacts, and plate tectonics that make the Japanese earthquake look like a kiddie ride at a county fair. And we've been here only a few thousand years, and only engaged in heavy industry for around 300 years. . .we can't destroy the planet. .we can only destroy ourselves. . .the planet will do fine. . Life will do fine. . . We'll be gone.

      See the line of thought that "the sun gives us the ideal climate to survive in" is backwards. . .we evolved to live in the environment that the sun gave us. . . see the difference? We conformed to the environment. . not the other way around. . .life adapts. . life always does.

      Think of a glass full of water. . the water thinks "this is great, see how perfectly I fit in this container. .this container was made for me". .when the truth is the water is conforming to the container. Like most things humans do. . .we're looking at it backwards.

      See. . this is why I don't get invited to the good parties that the cool kids throw. . .

      Delete
    3. See. Here's were you got me wrong. I think you are one of the cool kids, and you can come to my party anytime. This is the stuff I love.

      You got it right in your very first line. "Well here's the thing... (well..a thing anyway)" It's your opinion and your entitled to it. You've based it on what you have seen, learned, and experienced. That's all I do. Express opinions.

      We aren't supposed to think alike, act alike, have the same interests, or even the same concerns. We are supposed to think differently. By discussing differences in opinions, theories, beliefs, we sometimes come up with answers.

      I wouldn't debate with you that there are other planets somewhere that can sustain life. As a matter of fact I think a person would have to be pretty naive, or arrogant even, to think that this is the only place that there is life. But can you get there when the shit hits the fan here?

      4.5 billion years is a long time. And our existence is no doubt insignificant in the scope of things. But it's the only existence I have. And yes I do believe that we can destroy the planet. Just like a virus destroys a cell. It's no different, just a much bigger scale. Everything has a life expectancy so to speak. Even the earth. The sun is a ball of burning gasses, eventually there will be no fuel for that fire and it WILL go out.

      I've been injured and sick countless times, I've had several near death experiences, yet here I am writing to you, I survived. That doesn't mean if I get hit by a Mac Truck tomorrow it's not going to kill me. There is no insurance that the earth will survive the next catastrophe.

      But really we have gone far beyond the scope of what I was trying to say in this post. We are talking about all kinds of things that we really don't have any control over what so ever.

      We do have control of what WE do in the here and now. If we learn how to consume properly. If we learn to think about the affects of our actions. If we take personal action to affect a positive change in our own environments, we CAN extend our life span here as a race. You won't change my mind on that.

      Delete
    4. We're actually saying the same thing. .I'm just arguing for perspective. If we say "We have to save the planet", that has a different connotation and creates a different perspective than saying "We have to save our own asses."

      I would rather we say "We have to save our own asses," because that we *can* do but saving the "planet" is too large and too abstract (and we aren't' a threat to the planet anyway, we're a threat to ourselves).

      Saving the planet may be out of our power to do, but we might have the power to save ourselves.

      It's semantics and scale.. .but we are actually saying the same things.

      And remember no matter what you do . . .we've got 6.5 billion years (give or take 500 million) before the sun expands and burns us all into a charcoal briquette.

      So. . .Merry Christmas! :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Jon,

    We have gone so far mate :) It's not about the inventing wonders of technology as I guess, it's about how far we concentrate about saving the things that keep us alive. We are dragging ourselves to the hell. We need to do something, at least on our own.

    People using their powers unnecessarily and just talk about saving the world in front of the public. Running blind, I'd say. You have a point there about oil too. It makes sense. Well I've never thought that way but thought about the nature acting weird lately. It's not its fault and still serve the breathing mad people live on the Earth wasting the natural resources. People got a brain to think but how far we use it to serve in return? Some do, not everyone.

    People just waiting for something wonderful to happen without doing anything about it. It's we, the people, responsible for the World's end, not Sun, Moon or asteroid.

    BUT Still we can, not to think, but to act :)

    Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words of wisdom friend. Thanks for sharing them. I like how you express that even though we abuse the balance of nature, nature still tries to nurture us. And we do very little to show our thanks. Well said.

      Change in this world is going to happen no matter what. It's inevitable. But I think we have a much greater impact on whether those changes are for better or worse than most people are willing to accept.

      Glad you came by Mayura, always happy to hear from you.

      Delete
  8. Yes, totally agree Jon. We are depleting (if that's the right word) every natural source of this earth. I do believe that we were meant to use these things in order for us to continue living but just like you said, we are not even trying to replace anything but instead just abusing what we have. Sooner or later things just run out.
    God help those that happen to be around in the next 50 or 100 years, they are the young ones today, and the way some of them are behaving now, I don't think they are going to know what 'hit' them in the future. They are so busy fighting each other, they won't know where to start to make the environment a better place.

    Some of the things you mentioned about the bees etc are very scary indeed, because it's sure proof that things are totally going wrong and we need to urgently do something about it before it gets to a place of no return.

    Jon, you know what's so funny about all of this? Man now wants to go and occupy some other planet. What do you think is going to happen to Mars, as an example? If we can't get it right on earth, all we are going to do is exploit, ruin and ransack some other place. A very interesting post Jon, something to really get my teeth into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know RPD, In 2007 I went to an Ice Rally here in Michigan. It WAS annual event. Snowmobile Races, Ice racing on motorcycles, There were monster trucks, souped up lawn tractors, I even saw a hovercraft out on the ice that year. People pulled their fishing shanties out onto the ice with trucks and trailers, there were probably more than a thousand people out on the ice partying in the middle of Devils Lake. 2007, just five years ago. Last winter (2011/12), I didn't get to go ice fishing one time. We never had enough ice to support the weight of a 175 pound man. 2007 was the last year they held the event. I don't think things will continue for another 50-100 years if we don't do something now.

      And sadly, yes, we would rather try to find a way to infect another world with the virus called mankind, than to focus our efforts on repairing the environment we live in.

      Thanks for sharing your thoughts RPD, a pleasure as always...

      Delete
  9. Hi Jon,
    When I look at the world like this, I could go into such a depressed state! Bottom line I think is that people are likely to do the "blame game" and not take responsibility for themselves.

    Each and every action we take has an effect on the planet and the world community. If I purchase a piece of clothing, it can have an effect on the child labor and terrible conditions in factories on the other side of the world. So instead, I am mindful of where things come from.

    If I recycle (and I recycle everything) it can make an impact on the world. I don't throw things out, I put it out for "free" and we have a "free-cycle" in our community. Everyone gets into it.

    Two little examples of what one can do to reduce the problems above. It is up to each individual to do their part and be mindful of the actions they take.
    It's a start.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bingo! "Each and every action we take has an effect on the planet and the world community." That's what I'm talking about. There is a law of physics, I think it's Newtons third law, Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. That's physics. When talking about nature and world community I think our actions have the ability to cause a greater reaction than the action that started it. If I show someone a kindness, it's very likely that person will show that same kindness to others, and they to others still. Likewise if I am cold and uncaring towards that person, it is likely to reflect in others they interact with, and so on.
      If we can save the bees (for example) then we are saving the plants that rely on them for pollination, and the animals that rely on those plants. We are saving the birds that rely on the bugs that rely on the honey that the bees produce. Our actions are much further reaching than I think most realize.

      I like to hear the efforts you make to cause positive impact, I like to hear that it is a community effort as well, that's what needs to happen everywhere.

      Although, your bottom line and mine seem to be similar, I also tend to think that people will complacently continue on with their daily lives. Because most people would rather live in denial than face the reality of the situation. People don't want to think about these things because it is depressing. It hurts. At least it does me.

      Thanks for speaking up Donna, thanks for giving me your time to read my little rant. I don't think like this all the time, if I did I'd be a basket case. But when I do have thoughts like this, I think it's important to share them. I think facing reality and discussing it is how we create the solutions. While it's not realistic to think this message will have any affect on the current state of affairs. If I can make someone change their thought process, and maybe they help someone else change theirs... Well, it's a start.

      Delete
  10. ANOTHER EXCELLENT POST!!!... KEEP THAT MIND GOING :) IN MOST WORLD HAPPENINGS, IF IT MAKES SENSE TO YOU, CHANCES ARE YOU MAY BE RIGHT. NOT EVERYTHING IN LIFE IS ONLY SENSIBLE TO THE WISE OR THE GENIUS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment, and I will try to keep the thoughts rollin'. It's not always easy. I like your insights on common sense too. I enjoyed your comment, I hope you'll come back and weigh in again on a future post.

      Delete
  11. This is a great post. But you should correct that typo. WHOSE. Not WHO'S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I did mention I dropped out in the tenth grade, right? Oh, I know... I could use an editor, do you work for warm fuzzy thoughts? :)

      Seriously though, thanks for reading. I really do appreciate the compliment, and I want you to come back and read again... So I'll see what I can do about fixing that for you.

      Delete
  12. I completely agree. There is damage that has been done to this planet that is irreversible. Mankind in general seems to be heading towards a path of destruction. Hopefully we can come together as a race and realize this. Great article though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you Jared. I don't know that we really do have to come together as a race. If we as individuals do our own part to make a difference in our own lives, and our own communities, we can change the world. Just my thought anywho...

      Thanks for coming by and reading. See you later.

      Delete
  13. The problems are large, but the solutions are small. You're right, start in our neighborhoods and communities and do little things. Sometimes the enormity of a situation is daunting, but when we realize that we don't have to fix it tomorrow, just START fixing it, it's less overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my opinion, the solutions lie in each individuals efforts. To look at the big picture is very daunting, but to just concentrate on the things we can influence ourselves is a much more realistic prospect. Thanks for the wise words. Thanks for coming by Karen.

      Delete