But I have to say one of the coolest things I've ever done out in, and with nature, is the few opportunities I've had to go out with my falconer friends to hunt with their birds.
I don't really hunt anymore. Hunting was something I did with my dad, and I valued the time spent with him, and the knowledge that he passed on to me. I love the thrill of the hunt. Sneaking and tracking, making a strategy to outsmart your prey. It's a thrill when you are successful at getting close enough to a wild animal to reach out and touch it. I never liked the killing though. So when I moved out of my dad's house, my hunting pretty much stopped.
When I discovered photography my love of the hunt was renewed. The things I like to take pictures of, and the modest equipment that I have, still require all the same skills as hunting only when you pull the "trigger" you get a photo to take home with you instead of meat. And I can go to the grocery store to get that. I'm not anti-hunting by any means. I think ethical hunting is necessary to the balance of nature.
I'm getting away from my topic though. This first set of pictures is of my friend Scott and his Red-tail Hawk Chloe. Scott has invited me to go out with him and his birds a few times. Chloe is the first hawk I "met" up close. And I was very impressed.
The first time Scott invited me out, I really had no idea what to expect. I hadn't ever done anything like it. But I was not going to miss the opportunity to interact with these awesome birds. I figured we would walk some open fields, he would carry the bird on his arm and if we kicked something up the bird would go for it. Wrong.
The first thing we did that I wasn't expecting was going to a little patch of woods in Ann Arbor, that sits between a Meijer Department Store and a townhouse community. No more than a couple acres of trees, if that. Definitely not the open fields I was expecting. Then we got out of the car, he got Chloe out, checked her over, lifted his arm and she took off... I was stunned. I don't know why I thought the hawk was going to hunt from his arm, but I did. I guess I figured if she flew free she just wouldn't come back. She flew quite a ways off and perched in the top of a tall Oak tree near the Meijer. Then the really cool stuff started happening.
Scott mentioned that wasn't really the direction he had hoped she would fly, I was thinking to myself "no kidding..." We walked a short distance towards her, he lifted his arm again, and blew a little toot on a whistle. He had to whistle a couple of times, but she flew right back to his arm. He gave her a little tid-bit of meat, turned her towards the woods we were going to hunt, and off she went again. This time to a tree on the edge of the woods.
I was already impressed, and surprised by the way it looked like this was going to work. It was already not what I was expecting at all. But I thought I had it figured out now. The bird would hold it's perch in the tree, and we would probably circle around the side of the woods and push back through, to try to drive whatever critters we could towards her. Wrong again.
Scott pointed a couple of directions, said you go that way and I'll go this way, and told me if I kicked up a rabbit to yell "Ho Ho"... Alrighty then, we headed straight into the woods and started walking away from the bird. I was confused again, I wondered how the bird would get the rabbit if we were pushing away from the bird. We only got a short distance into the woods when I heard the wing beats and turned to see Chloe take a new perch, right between Scott and I. A little further... The bird did the same thing. Wow! That was so cool... I was awe struck.
That may not be so impressive to some, but let me explain. Chloe is not tame. She wasn't even born in captivity. In Michigan if the raptor a falconer chooses to fly is a native species, you have to capture your bird from the wild. (With proper licences and permits.) I think this is to insure survival rates of lost birds and fly-aways. Chloe is a wild animal.
When I realized that she was just going to follow along with us like that, I really got into it. I got myself a nice hefty stick, and went to work. I walked over brush piles and dead-falls, poked and prodded into them with the stick. I turned things over. I looked in, and prodded inside hollow logs. I stomped and crashed brush trying to get anything to flush and run.
Then it happened. I jumped a rabbit... The words came out of my mouth as if I had said them a thousand times before. It was almost an instinctual reaction. "Ho! Ho!" The rabbit ran, I called out, and Chloe flew into action it seemed almost simultaneously. Time seemed to slow down, as the bird's speed increased. It flew easily around trees as it's dive homed in on the rabbit. Chloe made her strike, the rabbit shot to the side at the very last second, and Chloe missed her mark. I didn't care. That was one of the most incredible things I had ever seen. Afterwards, she got a bit of food for her efforts, we hunted our way back to the car and headed home.
Here is this wild bird. Flying completely free, able to fly off and go wherever it wants. And yet, it chose to follow two men into the woods. For me that was the most surprising part of the whole experience. It really impressed on me the intelligence of a hawk. It knew that we were working for it. It knew if it followed us we would give it an opportunity to eat. It knew we were a team. Not only that, but it used strategy by continuously placing itself directly between the two of us. Two species working together for a common goal. A true symbiotic relationship.
This next set of pictures is Scott and Shakespeare. Shakespeare is a male Red-tail hawk. Males are typically smaller than the females, and Shakespeare is a much smaller, more streamline animal than Chloe. He also had a much different disposition. He was a little more leery of strange people, a little more skittish on the arm. He didn't like me getting in his face with the camera.
Every bird of Scott's I've had the opportunity to interact with has taught me something I hadn't realized before. There is no "love" from hawk to man. There is no compassion, or loyalty. These birds are not pets. They are food driven, and smart enough to capitalize on opportunity. Shakespeare obviously did not like people. It was obvious he did'n even like to be handled by Scott. And yet, he still was willing to work with us to increase his chance of making a kill and and getting a meal.
It's been a while since I have gone out with Scott and his birds. We worked together at one time, and now we just don't cross paths as often. But I know more opportunities will come. And when they do I won't miss the chance to learn more about this unique lifestyle, and these incredible birds.
Scott recently obtained his first American Kestrel. The bird is still not ready to hunt. But he did invite me to just come take some pictures of the bird. So I did. I've included some of those pictures here as well. And I am looking forward to hunting with this bird when it's ready too.
The final pictures are of my friend Harold and a Red-tail Hawk. I don't know Harold as well, we worked together at the same place with Scott. He was only there for a short period of time. He and Scott were friends previously. I have only been hunting with Harold once. But I definitely wanted to give him a mention, as he is a part of the awesome experiences with these birds. He usually flies Harris Hawks. I hope to be able to get some good pictures of them one of these days, but that chance hasn't come yet. Just one more experience to look forward to in my future...

.jpg)

I shared with you some of my feelings about hunting, and one of my experiences with falconry. How do you feel about hunting? Would you like to go hunt with these majestic birds? Just to have that experience, to be able to say "I did that". Or do you think it is wrong, or even cruel? I'd like to hear what you think. Please, take just a minute to leave a comment and share your view, or your experience. And thanks for reading my story.
.jpg)



.jpg)

.jpg)




Yes, I'd like to say I did that. It sounds awesome! But, since I haven't had that opportunity yet, thanks for the great pics!
ReplyDeleteThanks, I do like to share my pictures. You never know, you just may get that opportunity yet.
DeleteLOVE LOVE LOVE this post! Not only is it beautifully written, but the pictures are outstanding. My sister handled the red tail hawks so I was lucky enough to get close to these majestic birds. Now they come into my yard every day looking for the doves--I can't help but to stop and stare at their beauty. There is also a falconer that comes to town with the yearly renaissance festival and brings all his birds of prey--yet another opportunity for me to see them up close and in action. Stunning. I would LOVE to come along one day to watch this--what a thrill---but I'll admit I'd have to shut my eyes when the hawk caught his prey. You did a great job here, Jon--truly breathtaking.
ReplyDeleteThanks MM, you always have the nicest things to say. We have regular visits form a few different kinds of hawks in our yard as well. I have pictures of them too. I'm sure some where down the road I'll share more of my hawk experiences.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the experience with your sister, I have no doubt those are special memories for you.
And a great idea on the renaissance festival, Michigan hosts one every year too, and I've never been to it. I've no doubt a plethora of photo ops would be available. Maybe I will make it a point to go this year. Thanks for planting the seed in my little pea brain. So nice to hear from you.
Wow, those Hawks are absolutely beautiful. Just look a the feathers, the colours and markings on each one. You have done an excellent job taking all those lovely pictures. One of my favorites is the one which includes a man in a red vest, that bird is perfect in every way and the wings look awesome.
ReplyDeleteChloe looks as if she is the size of a cat and with claws like that, I can see why you would need good gloves. It's always amazing how they are wild but yet trained to a certain degree. To think that these hawks can just fly off permanently but yet they still come back boggles the mind. I think that my concerns would be with the hawks that don't want to 'play ball' so to speak. How on earth do they get them to be tame enough to comply? those hawks have the power to do some real serious damage to humans, or am I wrong?
I've never really had any strong views either way about hunting, maybe it's because I hardly know much about it. I would like to experience a few hunting trips one day to see for myself what it actually involves, as there are also different types of techniques used for different animals ie: fox hunting with dogs/horses etc.
Another great post from you Jon, with some great information and pictures too.
Nice to hear from you RPD. The birds are certainly beautiful, and while these are some of my all-time favorite pictures, they don't do these birds justice. They are incredible creatures.
DeleteIn mass Chloe is probably larger than most cats, in weight though, much lighter. They are extremely powerful animals, and could easily do serious damage to a person. A human has an average grip strength of about 20-30psi, your average hawk 300-400psi some much higher. Their talons and beaks are very large, and extremely sharp. Check out the beak of the Kestrel in the close-up of it's face. See the "tooth" on either side of the beak? Most raptors kill with their talons. The Kestrel uses the special design of it's beak to cut through their preys spinal cord to make their kills. I find these birds fascinating, and I could talk about them all day.
As far as the training, I'm no falconer myself. What I understand is that after they capture the bird, they pretty much only have to teach the bird to come to the glove. They do this with food rewards, starting by encouraging the bird to come to the glove from a few feet away. Then gradually increasing the distance the bird flies to the glove. When the bird comes readily, it's ready. You don't really teach them the hunting part, they do that all on their own. Still seems amazing to me that they don't just fly away though...
Thanks for coming by. Thanks for leaving your thoughts, it's always appreciated.
If you ever do decide to experience a hunt, but you don't want to experience the kill... Go with a camera. I don't have a fancy camera, no big lenses, or expensive gear. If I can get close enough, and be in a steady enough position to get a good clear picture of an animal, then I probably would have had the same success with any number of lethal weapons.
Hi Jon,
ReplyDeleteWow... Really love the post mate :) Story and especially the snaps you have shared here. Love the wonders of nature, every bit of it. Ah... I'll be crazy if all your story was recorded in a video cam ;) Such a nice experience and you are very good at writing it, as I can feel the joy.
As like you, I don't find hunting as a thriller when I find someone dead at the corner of it. Well, until that killing point, I like how it all happen. I never did hunting but seen some videos of how men and wild animals do.
Do hawks tend to trust people or it takes time? :) Just wondering.
All the best with Photography mate ;)
Cheers...
Mayura, thanks for stopping in for a read... Nature is probably my biggest passion in life. I love to learn about it, I love to be out in it, and I love to interact with it.
ReplyDeleteMy camera will record HD video, I never think to use it. I guess I have taken a few videos, there's just something about the still photos that I really like. It's like a moment frozen in time, that your mind can revisit time and time again.
I don't know if the birds ever really do fully trust a man. There is definitely a relationship but from what I understand and have seen myself, that relationship can be quite tentative.
Thanks for the compliments on the pictures. I always say there's no point in taking them if no one sees them. It makes my day to hear that people enjoy them. I hope you'll continue to enjoy my stories and my photos. See ya' later.
I have only seen one hawk up close and that was this summer when we were camping. It often circled over us, but it also spent most of it's time setting in a tree. Now I know they are predatory, so I thought it was plotting on our Chihuahua. The days we were there, it never came after us, or our Chihuahua. On the morning we were packing to leave I found one of it's long feathers near our tent. I brought it home with me and have wondered about it since. Enjoyed reading your posting. Happy Monday!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for dropping in Gossip_Grl, and reading my story. Thanks even more for sharing your own experience. Depending on what type of hawk it was, you were probably wise to keep a closer eye on your little dog. Cool find on the feather too... But Shhh... don't tell anyone else. You could end up with a visit from a game warden.. :)
DeleteA happy Monday to you as well, and a very MERRY CHRISTMAS too. Hope to see you here again sometime.
These pictures are very good, nice close up to see the details of the feathers, and features in the faces. Your description of two men going into the woods and the bird knew you were working with him(her) seems to capture the essence of the excitment point, and intelligence that bird must have. Hope to see more from you on bloggers.com
ReplyDeleteMadeInAmericaSC
It is very easy for me to write about these birds. It is something I have a lot of passion for, which makes it easy for me to relay that feeling. I am glad that it shows to the people reading.
ReplyDeleteThese are some of my favorite pictures I've ever taken. In the close up of the Kestrel's face look at the eye. It looks like we might be out in the wide open country to look at the whole picture. But when you look at the reflection in the eye you can make out that we are actually standing in an alley in downtown Ypsilanti. I love that picture. Thanks for the compliments.
Thanks for coming by and reading. Hope to see you again. Nice job on your own blog by the way... I'll be by to see you there as well. Take care...