Well, here I am again, accepting awards that I told myself I wouldn't anymore. I know... How gracious of me right. There are reasons I don't like doing these things. Firstly, I'm lazy. I'm very slow on the computer. It's a lot of work to put one of these posts together. Notifying everyone that you are nominating them, posting links to your blog for them, posting links to their blogs for the readers here. Answering all the silly questions that people write for these things, or stating facts about yourself. Putting the awards on the side board and linking them back to the people who nominated you. I have a hard time keeping up with my blog as it is, and all I do is write a couple paragraphs every once in a while. It does sound like I'm being ungrateful, I'm not. It's the truth, and that's what I'm all about here.
Next, I question the word "award" when talking about "blogger awards"... I mean, don't you get an award for something you have already done? A little recognition for a job well done, or pat on the back for doing the right thing... Yet these things come with a list of stuff to do when you accept your award. Seems sorta backwards to me.
But really, the biggest thing that bothers me about these blogging awards... I'm a terrible blogger! Really. I'm just some guy. I'm not even a real writer. I don't have a degree, I've never had anything published that I didn't publish myself, I type about ten words a minute. I come here and selfishly spew my thoughts on a world that didn't ask for my opinion. I write when I feel like it... And I don't, when I don't. (Sometimes for months at a time.) When I do write, I do it to gain self-satisfaction. I don't care if people like it, or even read it. Don't get me wrong it makes me happy to hear from people who have read what I post here, and relate to it, or add their own thoughts to it, or even just compliment me with a simple acknowledgment. It really makes my day sometimes, and it would not be the same without readers and some interaction. But it's not what I'm after. I write here and to try to be honest with myself with what's on my mind, it's a different perspective to see your own thoughts written out, to look at it as though it were someone else, in turn I learn about myself.
Then I think, ya know... Someone else that I don't even know took the time to do all those things that I don't like doing with these posts.They posted all the links, notified all the people, answered the silly questions. And unlike me they do it without a complaint, with good cheer and fun spirits. Not only that but they included me in their list of people that they enjoy for some reason or another... While I may not think what I do here is worthy of praise or recognition... Someone else did. Someone thinks what I'm doing is worth sharing with others. Someone thinks what I have to say, or maybe even the way I say it is inspiring!? That's the cat's ass man. That is more than I ever expected to get out of this deal. I pretty much got my start in blogging ranting about how the FBI is out to get us, and the government is a giant scam. I never expected people to read that stuff and return to read again. Just another red-neck, conspiracy junkie runnin' his mouth. I'm not... But that's how I figured people would view me.Admittedly, my blog has evolved a long way from then. I really don't talk politics very often. I'm here to get into my own head. Not to dissect the the government. The one thing that remains constant about me is that I try to write openly, honestly, and without fear. That's not always easy when your mind is fraught with fears. Not only the fears of failure that I live with (that we all live with), but the fears of what are people going to think if they read this? What will my friends think? My family? An employer? What if I offend someone important to me?.. How will I be perceived? It is scary sometimes.
So, in-light of that, to have someone pin words on my blog like epic, or awesome, or inspirational, whether it is in humor or not, really is quite an honor. And I think it is only respectful of me to acknowledge the efforts they put forth in saying so... Even if there are a few rules. :)
This first award comes from Marcia Doyle who writes Menopausal Mother. She has been pretty epically awesome to me. She was one of the first bloggers to connect with me and follow my blog. She has been a constant source of encouragement. And has become so much more than a blogging connection. She is my friend, and a wonderfully kind soul. She strives to make people laugh, by showing the humor in the not so humorous things in life. And who couldn't use a couple more laughs in their day. Thanks Marcia for passing out the laughs so freely.
The rules with this award are as follows: 1. Display the award on your page (easy enough). 2. Link back to the person who nominated you (that's no problem). 3. State ten things about yourself (hmm, now it's starting to require a thought process). 4. Nominate 10 other bloggers and link them back to your post (this now reminds me of a thing called work).
Fact#2: I love to take pictures... Of anything. Flowers, wildlife, rocks, Coyote poop in the backyard, let's just say you never know what you may find going through my photo albums.
Fact#3: I will go fishing at any opportunity. I will rearrange my schedule, forsake responsibility, and throw caution to the wind to get to the fishing hole.
Fact#4: I have a hard time listing facts about myself.
Fact#5: I don't like to have my picture taken... Unless I'm holding a big fat fish.
Fact#6: I can't dance. I don't dance. I don't like dancing. I have never liked to dance. I've watched Dancing With The Stars every Monday and Tuesday for like eight seasons. (I've only missed a couple of shows, due to fishing.)Fact#7: No. I'm not gay. (No offense. Just a fact. I had to clarify after admitting to taking pictures of flowers and watching Dancing With the Stars.)
Fact#8: I will go fishing with anyone. Children, elderly, family, friends, complete strangers, big, tall, small, anyone, anytime, anywhere. Heck, I would even go fishing with Obama, although he might not enjoy the conversation I'd like to have.

Fact:#9: I love Italiano Cuisine. All of it.
Fact#10: Blogging has been one of the coolest things I've ever done. (Ha! Thought I was going to say something about fishing didn't you...)
My ten nominations for this award are...
1) I love gardening, and I love adventuring. Therefore, I love this blog. Grace, Grits, and Gardening
2) For the same reasons, Chasing the Donkey
3) Dan and Lisa at A Brainless Nod are pretty awesome. A wide variety of reading here, poetry, photography, fiction, reality... They do it all, and they do it well.
4) She loves her dogs, she's funny, original, and real. She's Jersey Lil at Jersy Lil's Two Cents
5) I'm not big on tech blogs but I do follow a couple that are full of pretty awesome information, one being A Little Unhinged
6) The other is my friend Mayura at Mayura 4Ever
7) You never know what you may get from Lanthie Ransom at Life Cherries and that's just the way I like it.
8) Slu's World is a pretty cool place, another blog that you never know what will be next, but you can be sure that Stephen Sluder will entertain you.
9) For stunning photography, I highly recommend you check out Ray Bilcliff's site True Portraits of Nature I promise you will not be disappointed.
10) This list would not be complete without an epically awesome FISHING BLOG. T Brinks Fishing has it covered, anything and everything fishing here! FISH ON!!!
Some of these epically awesome bloggers I'm sure don't even know I follow them, as I said I am a bad blogger. I rarely leave comments on people's blogs, as I said I type painfully slow, I can read and comment on about three blogs in an hour. In that same hour I can read a couple dozen blogs without commenting. See what I am getting at?..
However, I think all these bloggers are exceptional at what they do. I don't really care if you (the nominated bloggers) accept the award and jump through the hoops in order to pin the award to your sideboard. I know most of you will not, I know by reading your blogs that many of you do not display any such awards on your pages. That's not really what this is about for me. I follow your blogs regularly, I wanted to let you know I appreciate the work you do. I wanted to let you know... I think your blogs are AWESOME. I hope I can send a few new readers your way, and I hope they will find you as epically awesome as I do.
The next award that I need to address comes to me from two people. Gail Young who writes Gail's Forum. She writes with brutal honestly, and I have enjoyed following her journey. I find her quest for personal improvement quite inspiring, and I always love to hear from Gail here on my blog. Thank-you Gail for making my day with your nomination. The second nomination for this award comes again from Marcia Doyle at Menopausal Mother. Marcia is one of the most inspiring people I have had the pleasure to get to know. Quick with words of encouragement, always willing to lend a helping hand, never a bad word to say. She always tries to spread a positive message in all she does. Thanks Marcia for all you do.The rules for this award are as follows. Pin the award to your page and link back to the one who nominated you. List seven facts about yourself... Nominate FIFTEEN bloggers and notify them of such nomination. This post has taken me forever to write! So with the ten nominations above, I think I will go with ten on this award too... Call me an inspirational cheater if you will. But this post has taken me all weekend to write already. So if you cut me just a little slack on this... Well, I'll owe you one... or five.
The Facts:
1. My Dad was/is my Hero. We had our problems, many of them. And while he may not have been a great father. He was a great man. He devoted most of his life to helping others with serious life struggles. He was not an educated man, but he was brilliant all the same, and he shared his knowledge with whoever would receive it. He was my BEST fishing partner ever, and taught me nearly everything I know about fishing. I've figured some stuff out on my own, but he showed me how to do that too. There will never be another like my Dad.2. I will be forty-two years old in two days.
3. I love gardening, working outside, getting dirty, making things grow... I like everything about it. It is the only work that I have ever done that doesn't feel like work. It is hard labor, but extremely rewarding as well.
5. People who know me in reality, are always surprised when they read my blog. I'm so quiet I make people uncomfortable in conversation at times, so to come here and see how open and "vocal" I am on this blog is quite a shock for many who know me.
6. My family is my rock. I would not be who I am, or where I am without them.
7. If I didn't have a single reader I would still be blogging.
All of my nominations for this award are because I find their writing inspiring. So with a lack of additional explanations these are them:
1. Menopausal Mother
2. Gail's Forum
3. Rum Punch Drunk
4. Follow Me Home
5. Disability and I Do
6. Rock Bottom
7. Aphorism Of The Day
8. Fear No More... A Day In The Life
9. My Meddling Mind
10. The Sadder But Wiser Girl
Once again the majority of the people on this list probably have no idea that I read their blogs. I do... Regularly. Enough to know that you ARE inspiring people. In reading your blogs I have learned about life, people, world events... In reading your blogs I have learned about myself. That's pretty cool. Your words have made a day better here and there, your words have enriched my life in one way or another. So, accept the award or not, it doesn't matter. It doesn't change my opinion.
To all the bloggers I mentioned here in this post,I hope my words here make your days a little better. I hope I encourage people to check you out, and see what you have to offer. If nothing else I hope I put a smile on your face, I'd just like to return that favor. Thanks to all of you for doing what you do.


What made my day about this Jon is that your writing blog is gone and it was so much fun reading about you. Where you started, where you are and how blogging has given you a voice. I used to fish with my father but he hated bringing me along because I wouldn't shut up. Really enjoyed this Jon and I really love that you read my blog and that we are friends through the Internet waves. Don't ever change and maybe you are not talking about conspiracy theories but you are certainly inspirational.
ReplyDeleteHi Gail! This Message went to my spam folder! I only got you second message at first and have to say I was a bit confused with it... It all makes sense now!!! lol
DeleteI am glad you enjoyed the post and thank you so much for the encouragement. I have thoroughly enjoyed connecting with you, talk to you soon I'm sure!
Sorry I'm typing on my phone...visually impaired + blackberry = writing blog instead of what I meant to say which is writing block
ReplyDeleteI hate awards too (shhh - Don't tell anyone) - but congrats on getting them!
ReplyDeleteNo one will hear it from me Lanthie!
DeleteI can't really say I hate them... I always really do appreciate them, and I do like to give credit to others I think are worth it, but I dread writing these dog-gone posts...
Thanks for coming by Lanthie... one less I have notify. :)
I LOVE it when you let your humorous side out to play! This was fantastic! My faves---the facts that go with the Epic award--#7 fact had me stifling my laughter lest I wake the entire house up and make the dogs crazy. That was freakin' hilarious (Dancing With The Stars? Really? You certainly are full of surprises). #8 would be very interesting and I'd like to be there for that because I have some questions, too! #9 I am SOOO with you on this one because Italian food is my favorite--right up there next to chocolate. The rest of the stuff comes as no surprise to me---that is just how I know you to be. I also know you aren't too crazy about receiving these blogger awards, (which is why I like to torture you with them LOL) but they truly are my way of showing appreciation to you for what you do. Jon, what you write and photograph is beautiful and inspiring to so many people, and it needs to be heard. I want nothing more than to see you succeed because I think you deserve it. Congratulations---you knocked this one out of the ball park...just like you always do.
ReplyDeleteHey there MM... Glad you enjoyed it. Yes, really. I do watch DWTS regularly... It's true. Glad I could return a laugh to you, you've given me plenty! See ya!
DeleteOh my gosh Jon... I'm sitting here in the living room, up way too late laughing way to loud and tearing up as usual at your post. I think you're Inspiringly Epically Awesome too.
ReplyDeleteDude, we must have dad on the brain, I just gave him a pretty big nod on my latest post too.
"I'm not even a real writer. I don't have a degree, I've never had anything published that I didn't publish myself, I type about ten words a minute. I come here and selfishly spew my thoughts on a world that didn't ask for my opinion."
"Fact#7: No. I'm not gay. (No offense. Just a fact. I had to clarify after admitting to taking pictures of flowers and watching Dancing With the Stars.)"
Just two of my faves from this post...
As Always, Your FAVORITE Sister
Thanks for coming by Tess. I can always count on you. I would have added you to my lists... You belong there. But I know you just got a couple of other ones so I thought I'd see how you dealt with them... Besides I didn't want your head getting to big. :)
Deletelove ya'... talk to you soon!
Seriously, I'm ok with it. I've been reading blogs like crazy trying to find enough to continue the nominations! I really only know 4 bloggers! LOL, next time around, when I'm cool like you, you can nominate me for something... OR I'M TELLING MOM!!
DeleteJon congratulations on both your awards and you do deserve the recognition for your blog. I've always enjoyed the way you write and it is nice to get to know a little more about the personality behind the blog through their words. I first met you when I came across 'smoke and mirrors' and was surprised at your dedication to a friend. I knew you was a no nonsense person, upfront and in ya face and I liked that. It must have taken you hours doing those posts.
ReplyDeleteI too find it extremely hard to keep up with all the requirements of receiving awards for almost the same reasons you have stated, coupled with my commitments but I am also very grateful that someone has taken the time to read and comment on my blog. THANK YOU for nominating me Jon.
I take this opportunity to wish you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY in the next couple of days. I hope that any dreams you may have for your life comes true and you will be around to celebrate many many more. Are you doing anything nice for that day Jon? I shall hold up a glass of gin and ice on that day, cheers mate :)
Rum Punch I have really enjoyed your blog. When I first started following you, I thought you were doing exactly what I wanted to do here. Speaking Your Mind... about anything and everything. I have been a fan ever since.
DeleteThanks for the Birthday wish! The only thing I hope to do on my birthday is get myself to a piece of water somewhere, and catch a big ol' fish! That would make a fantastic birthday!
Thanks for being such a support in blogging, and for being a real friend. Take care. Cheers!
A very long time ago, in a distant land, I received a chain email. I know, I know, everyone gets these, but this one was special.... It said, "Send this to 10 people, and you'll never have to send chain emails again. You will never get the bad effects of not sending chain anything if you do." So yeah, I sent it. And boom, it kinda covers the chain awards! Hehe.
ReplyDeleteThanks a ton for the mention. I knew from the beginning I wanted to write about anything and everything and not corner myself into a niche. Especially with Lisa contributing to the blog, it gives us some leeway to really just express opinions.
Always love stopping by your blog here as well. Some great reading and depth to such a life. But I always have to be careful, I saw that last post about your art, and remembered I still need something drawn....
Phew, I need to catch up on your blog, I've finally recovered from my vacation, now I'm so far behind on reading. Haha!
A Brainless Nod deserves more credit than I can give you here. It's very original, and you have done very well with staying "outside the box". I love the variety of expression you and Lisa display. There is something for everyone in your space.
DeleteGlad you came by, I do really appreciate the time someone gives to stop by and read what I have to say, and the effort to leave a thoughtful comment. Time is precious. As much as I want to, or tell myself I am going to, I find that I never seem to be able to keep up with all the reading I want to do. There just isn't enough time in the day. I always find myself catching up on peoples blogs... It's alright though, I think it is a better experience to read a few posts at a time anyway.
I've been reading along with you guys for a few couple/few months now. I'll try to be better about leaving a comment once in a while. :) But I've said it before and I'll say it again... Just because you didn't see me, doesn't mean I wasn't there! Keep up the great work. you guys ARE awesome.
Wow! Just the fact that you're reading my blog is enough of an award in my book! Thank you! I usually do up one big post and give awards out all at once. This is of course after I have almost given myself an ulcer over the whole thing! Thank you very much. *curtsies*
ReplyDeleteWell, don't give yourself an ulcer over this one. You see were I stand on the subject... Just know that I think you blog is pretty damn cool, and we'll call even.
DeleteThanks for stopping by. Your one of the ones I figured had no idea I followed along :) But I've been reading along for a while now. I'll try to be better about saying hi every once in a while. I know how much I appreciate it when someone takes the time to leave their thoughts here, I should try harder to do the same.
Thanks for being you. Thanks for entertaining us all with your blog. Be seeing you around I'm sure.
(Ha! Blogging wizard??? If you could watch me hunt and pick one of these posts out, I'll bet wizard isn't the word that would come to mind!)
Thank you for the shout-out! I am your newest blog follower. Loved your ten facts:) you had me at fishing.
ReplyDeleteNo problem! Thanks for writing an awesome blog! :)
DeleteMy Man... Congrats as well as Happy Birthday!!!
ReplyDeleteI think your description of the whole "Award" process sums up, to the "T," of how I feel too... it is so very rewarding to be acknowledged by fellow Bloggers. But then, the "Hoops" are wicked!!! lol Having said that: Thanks so much Buddy. Much appreciated for the mention/award. I will proudly display it.
I am totally down with your Blog and will be a Regular... Looking forward to it.
Take care my friend, Slu
Today is the day man! Thanks for the B-day wishes!
DeleteThe award comes because you deserve it. I love your blog Slu. I'll try to be better about letting you know I stopped by! Glad you enjoyed the post, I enjoy yours all the time. Take care, have a great day my man...
Hi Jon. Congrats on your awards! Nice pictures. Say, you don’t like fishing much do you? lol! I love that you’ll take pictures of anything (I often go out in my yard with my camera and do that too). Italian food, also my favorite. My late dad was my hero too. And Happy Birthday to you!
ReplyDeleteThank you for thinking of my blog for the Epic award. What a nice surprise and it put a smile on my face! (I didn’t even know you were regularly following my blog, I appreciate that). This is the 2nd Epic Award and 4th blogger award I’ve received in just the past week, must be award season. I feel much the same way you do about getting these awards. Looks like work especially because they always come with a list of things to do like answering questions. Yet some nice people took the time to nominate me, and that in itself is pretty awesome and an honor. I am putting together a blog post with all these awards and hope to have it up later this week...yep, it does take quite a while to get it all together. :-) Hope you’ll visit again soon. Thank you, I really appreciate the award.
Thanks for coming by Jersey Lil! Thanks for the kind words and birthday wish too. I have been reading along with you for a few months, and I really do think you have a great talent with blogging. You also have a comment on one of my posts that is one of my favorites I have received to date! Thanks for that! I will try to be better about leaving comments when I visit your page, if nothing else than to let you know I came by. Glad I could put a smile on your face. That was really all I was trying to accomplish with this post. Salute, my friend!
DeleteThank you, Jon. I appreciate the award. I need to write a post on a few, and you've given me the kick in the butt I need. It makes me happy to know that you stop by and read the blog. I never know what I'm throwing out there or who my exact audience is anymore...I fight with that as a real life person as well. Regardless, I love getting these from the people I look up to as bloggers.
ReplyDeleteI guess I won't mention how disappointed I was that the "PBR" pic wasn't a real blogging award. Pabst Blue Ribbon takes me back.... :)
PBR must be a Michigan thing! :) Your the only one who mentioned it so far. Too funny!
ReplyDeleteDidn't mean to kick you in the but, however if it was what you needed I won't be to sorry. It makes me happy to stop by and read your blog too. I think your blog deserves more recognition than I can give it, but hey... It's what i got. Thanks for entertaining us Michelle, you ROCK!
Jon, It is a whole month later and I still have to accept your very kind aways. It WILL go up this week. I promise! In the mean time, I have passed on to you a trophy to you. It's on my blog for the taking. I hope you'll place it on your sidebar :) You can blog about it or not, just know that I love your writing and am appreciating all that you are putting out there.
DeleteAww thanks Michele! I have sadly been neglecting my blog again lately. Lots going on, and now contributing to another blog as well. This may be just what I need to get back on track. Thanks so much, I'll head right over to your site and check it out.
DeleteHAPPY BIRTHDAY JON. Left you a comment on Traci's blog and I must say, I loved those cute pictures of you. Hope you did something really nice :)
ReplyDeleteThank-You my friend! I spent a nice day at home, taking it easy. I hope to make it out today or tomorrow for a little fishing. The weather is supposed to be very nice today around here, so we'll see what happens!
DeleteVery nice post and interesting to read .... I love visiting this blog.
ReplyDeleteThanks Obat! I love that you visit this blog. Hope you keep coming back!
DeleteOh my Jon, I have a bit of work ahead of me, lol. That's okay...I am after all grateful for the award and mention. Jon, I enjoyed reading your post and the facts about you, I thank you for sharing them with us. Now, my post might take some time to throw together because I don't have regular internet access...too lazy to take my laptop to the tech for a minor repair, so it can pick up signal. Anyhow, I have been making my way to the local library here and then to use the computer, which is where I am now. So, with no further a due, I will begin my award post, which I anticipated will not be officially posted for some time, as well as catch up on some of my favorite blogs and tweeters. Thanks again!!
ReplyDeleteMadison:-)
Thanks for coming by Madison, thanks also for writing the great blog. I will look forward to reading your post as well whenever you post it. :) I have enjoyed reading along with you already, and I don't imagine that will change any time soon. I'll be better about saying hi when I stop in. See ya'.
DeleteThanks so much for including me in your nominations Jon and thanks for following me! We actually follow a lot of the same bloggers. :)Hope you and your family have a wonderful weekend!
ReplyDeleteHi Bonnie! I really do like your blog. It's a tech blog with personality, and great information too. I've used a couple of your tips actually and never properly thanked you for doing so. So, Thanks!!! So glad you came by, thanks for taking the time to say hi!
DeleteAnd as far as similar blogging connections... We must both have good taste! Funny how the blogosphere is so big, and yet so small...
Jon.
ReplyDeleteYou crack me up, man. Congrats on your awards and Happy Birthday!
Fishing? I'm all in. Especially if we can ride our horses to get there. It's what I do.
These awards? I know they don't really DO anything... but how else are we supposed to reach out to people that we read and are touched/ inspired/ motivated/ educated/ entertained or anything else we get from the efforts that someone puts into their writing? To let them know that "hey! I appreciate you. You made a difference, to me." That's how I look at them, anyway.
Keep on, keeping on, Jon. Your story is real. That matters.
Well, last time I rode a horse I almost got hung on a vine. But if I thought that a horse was going to take me to a fishing hole I'd get on it without second thought. Well, I might think twice about it, but it wouldn't stop me!
DeletePersonally, I won't say that these awards don't do ANYthing, they made me smile, That's good enough for me. :)
Thanks for coming by to read and for the birthday wish! Good fishing to you always friend!
Hey Jon,
ReplyDeleteSorry for being late here though you notified about this one mate. I'm all behind and catching up here as now I'm in BUSY mode ;)
Congratulations on being awarded mate. Not one, but two of 'em. Proudy, eh? ;)
lol :D Fishing and photography all the way. I've been wondering what made you keep away from blogging for some time though you wanted to be consistent with posting. Old habits die hard ;)
Sometimes awards are better as they enforce bloggers to share more about himself or herself. I'm pretty sure you have enjoyed writing all about yourself. Adding some pics? That's perfect!
You always mention you are secretly dropping by on blogs and read 'em ;) Thank you for mentioning my blog with other fabulicious blogs here Jon. I'm truly honored :)
Well, Happy belated birthday too Jon :) Hope you had awesome time and keep more coming here. Cakes? I'd like some.
Cheers...
Thanks Mayura, Always happy to hear from you. No matter when it is. :)
DeleteAs the weather gets nicer, it gets harder and harder for me to sit in front of the computer, as you see I haven't been around much. I have to be out making the new adventures to write about. Yes old habits die hard.
Over all I did enjoy writing this post. It's nice to lighten up sometimes and try to show the sense of humor instead of taking everything so seriously. It's nice too when hear you have given someone a chuckle or a smile.
Your blog deserves to be hear with the rest of them Mayura, you work hard at it and you provide us with a lot of useful information. And your a pretty nice guy to boot.
Thanks for coming by, and for the thoughtful comment. The birthday wish was nice too. Take care friend, we'll see you around. ;)
Hi Jon. Thanks again for the nomination! I finally did my award post and linked back to you. I combined several awards I received in one long post with random facts, pictures, and answering questions. Whew, it’s a biggie...I believe it’s the mother of all award posts lol! When you have a chance, stop by and check it out, thanks! :)
ReplyDelete:) Awesome! I am on my way over now!
Deletelike you blog!
ReplyDelete