Friday, December 28, 2012

2012 In The Rear View

   2012 is quickly drawing towards a close. It has been quite a year. Some very good things have happened, some very bad things have happened, and yet life continues on. The memories made, and lessons learned will continue with it.
   When I started this blog in February, I was really just hoping to write about some things going on in my life to give my friends and family a way to keep up with me. I had closed my facebook account, and there were very few people that I knew on Google+, so I created the blog. I sent emails to all my friends and family with the web address of my page... The results were underwhelming. But I kept writing anyway, just because I kind of liked doing it.
   Even though I didn't get very many visits or "page views", I got something out of the writing itself. I found writing about things was an easier way to express myself than verbally, for one thing... But in expressing my thoughts in a written form gave me a chance to analyze those thoughts from a different perspective. I could read over what I said, and think about it more objectively, and in the process I have learned a great deal about myself.
   As I mentioned, I didn't get a lot of traffic to my blog in the beginning... However, that all changed when I got the wise idea to blog about a federal trial I followed in interest of a wrongly accused friend. I attended the trial every day and wrote about it here. As it happens, for a high-profile case there seemed to be very little coverage from the media, and what coverage you could find was minimal and biased. Not to say that what I wrote wasn't biased, but I'm not a journalist either. So, I was really the only one with any first hand knowledge of the trial, writing about it on a regular basis. And I got a lot of attention, more than I cared for really. Overall, I made twenty-one posts titled Smoke And Mirrors and in a little over a month I had amassed almost seven-thousand page views. I had regular visits from Washington DC, and Detroit (Which is were the trial was held.). So, I know the FBI was reading along with me. I also know some of the defense attorneys kept up with what I was writing, a couple of them even left comments for me. I assume the prosecutors would have had some interest as well. Not to mention Militias from across the country, I received more email than I ever have in my life, from militia members wanting to know more about the trial. Sometimes I was getting eighty emails a day. And then, all the defendants families and friends were also reading my blog. It was more pressure than I really wanted to deal with... But I started it... So I finished it. The trial ended up working out as good as it could have, and when it was over, I didn't look at my blog for two months.
   When I came back around it was in the middle of a family crisis. There were a number of things going on at the time, but the biggest thing was my Grand Mothers health was on a rapid decline, and there was a lot of moving her from place to place, as she went from her home to my mothers, then to the hospital, then back and forth several times form the hospital to the nursing home, until she finally won her battle and found her peace. I wrote about that briefly, but there are still sensitive matters over the ordeal within the family, so out of respect for the family after the funeral I didn't write anymore about it.  But I still miss my Granny every day, so eventually I'm sure some of those feelings will come out.
   With everything going on it made it very difficult if not impossible to post regularly. After two months off and some sporadic posts, I was right back to square one with no audience. Which really was fine. It's not like I was going to make a habit out of following federal trials, and I don't think FBI agents, and militia men have a whole lot of interest my flower pictures, or stories of cruising the back roads with my Mom.  So I was  going to have to shift my reader base anyway. And to be really honest, it still really doesn't matter to me who or how many people read what I write. I've said it before and it still holds true, I do this for me... Nobody else. I have made a couple of really good friends through blogging, and I love to hear from them. I'm sure given time I'll make even more friends, but I think it's better to just do my own thing and not worry about page views and statistics. Don't get me wrong, part of the attraction to blogging is the interaction you create with people through comments on each others blogs. And with a recent commitment to regular posting, and a  bit of networking, I have as much interaction as I need to get out of it whatever I want.
   Most of what I post on my blog is of a personal nature. I've written about my opinions, my past, my present, my future, my family, my friends, my experiences, my likes, my dislikes... Whatever happens to be on my mind when I sit down at the keyboard is what I write about. Sometimes I really like the things I come up with, sometimes I reread what I wrote and wonder what the hell I was thinking... But I always learn something from everything I post here, and that is the most important part of this whole deal for me.

   Here is a list of my top five posts (Not including Smoke and Mirrors.) of 2012, by top five I mean MY top five, not necessarily by most page views:

           On The Wings Of An Eagle... (Sort Of), This is a more recent post. I think it is probably my favorite post so far. It has some of my best pictures in it, and I really felt like I relayed what that experience was like for me. This post is low on opinion and high on experience, I think it's a post everyone can enjoy.
           A Perfect Day???, A very simple day, with a very simple message. A perfect day is all in your point of view...
           My Life In A Snapshot 1, A true story... And my first attempt at humor. I think anyone (except my Mother) can get a chuckle out of this short story.
           My Life In A Snapshot 2, I like this post because it was my first attempt at delving into some very personal feelings. This was the first post that made me feel like blogging could be personally beneficial.
            The Sunshine Blogger Award, Another attempt at humor. This post makes the list for a couple of reasons, neither of which is recognition for any "award". One reason the post is here is because it has more page views than any other post I've done... Including the Smoke and Mirrors stuff. But more than that this post was inspired by a person that without her support and encouragement, I doubt I would still be blogging here. So, thanks Menopausal Mother for being a friend. And any of you with complaints about my blog... You can hold her responsible. Follow the links in this post to her page and tell her all about it... (Well... Visit her page, but don't really complain about my blog there, okay.)

   2013... That sounds so futuristic. When I was a kid in the seventies the year 2000 seemed as much like science fiction as Star Wars. Yet here we are about to enter 2013, and out live the end of the Mayan Calender. Who'da thunk it?
   I'm hoping the new year brings less problems, and more solutions. Less tragedy, and more peace, and happiness. Fewer enemies, and more friends. I hope that I will build many more great memories with friends and family. I hope that I will continue to learn about myself, and take steps forward in life instead of backward. Mostly I want to live life, be happy, and know that when I'm gone... I did more good than harm. Who knows what really will happen. Regardless of how life unfolds, I think I'll stick around for a while and write about it some more... Here's to Speaking My Mind in 2013.

HAPPY NEW YEAR IN 2013!!!  

   On a final note I will be breaking in the new year with my first guest post. I will be featuring my friend from London, Rum Punch Drunk. Rum Punch Drunk is awesome and I know if you come by for a read you'll be challenged to think about how you live in the years to come...
   And I hope to feature some of my other favorite bloggers as time goes by too... I hope you will keep reading along with me as it all unfolds...   

13 comments:

  1. I think you are finding your way just fine--because that is what your blog is all about--speaking your mind! I love to hear what you are thinking and even more to see the world through your eyes, through your thoughtful words and your incredible photography! I also love your quick wit---your posts often have me laughing, crying, and contemplating life---who could ask for anything more??? You write with passion Jon, and that's the best kind if writing there is. Keep up the good work-- by writing for yourself and writing from your heart---it's what you do best. And most of all, thank you for trusting enough to share it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I certainly can't complain to much about blogging. It's not always easy, or fun, to sit in front of the computer for hours writing posts, and trying to keep it interesting and original, there is more involved with blogging than I would have guessed when I first started out. But to have met one friend, who shows a genuine interest in what I have to say, who encourages and supports all the effort. To have met one person such as yourself would have been worth it all on it's own. But not only have I met a few genuinely good people that I would call friends, the many other personal benefits that have come with blogging are just like icing on the cake.

      Delete
  2. I am new to your blog - recommended by Menopaulsal mother. The cloak and dagger stuff looks intriguing so will be reading them at some point. You are so correct about your blogging xperience though and it was the same for me. My first post was about 18 months ago and I started as a personal dare. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. It is like your own personal shrink. Not to mention the amazing friends I have made all over the world and the support has been tremendous. Who knew talking to strangers could be so much fun!

    I look forward to reading more of your posts in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy to meet you. That MM is always helping me out somehow. Glad you took her up on checking me out. Now that the holiday's are slowing down a bit, I'll be having a little more time to get back to blog surfing... And you can be sure I'll be stopping by your blogs again for a little more thorough read. Sometimes I get nearly as much out of reading other peoples blogs as I do writing my own. I love it when I look in on a new blog, and find a post that expresses the exact sentiment I would have liked to have shared myself at some point, only couldn't find the words on my own. It's all pretty cool.
      Talking to strangers is sometimes easier for me, there is less concern for whether they accept you or not. It's easier to be real without the worry of offending someone close to you. And in the process you end up making friends who like each other for who they are. Again, a pretty cool deal.
      Thanks for coming by and taking the time to say hi. I'm sure I'll be seeing you around. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jon,

    I had no idea about your previous posts and what you have been going through mate :) Sorry to hear about your granny and I think we can never stop death, no? I'm still fortunate enough not to lose loved ones around me but I fear of it after all as I don't wanna let them go.

    I'm really glad we met and I'm happy I start exploring Google+ with communities. Ah... I feel so good for that :) Especially I love the post about Eagle and it was fantastic with those snaps you added there :) You know I can't erase some from my mind, they actually reminds me of beautiful nature.

    Hope we will make 2013 much better for us and others around us too :) Wishing you to have a HAPPY, HEALTHY, WEALTHY and SUCCESSFUL NEW YEAR from my part of the World mate :)

    Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mayura, I'm looking forward to the new year, I hope you are as well. I'm glad you like the falconry pictures they are some of my favorites. I have some more great hawk pictures and another cool story to tell about them. So that is something for you to look forward to in the future.
      2013 will be as good as we make it, and I am going to make it a great year. I hope you do too. HAPPY NEW YEAR! Wishing you all the success in the coming year.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like 2012 has been quite the roller coaster for you, but that is life sometimes I guess. I like that you blog mainly for yourself, which is how it should be I think. Or, I mean that I like that you write about what you feel like and not what might attract attention. A very healthy attitude. :-)

    I wish you a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2012 was definitely a roller coaster, but over all it wasn't a bad ride. I am happy to start a fresh year all the same. Thanks for coming by for a read, and taking the time to say hi. I hope you have a great New Year, best of luck in the days to come. See you again sometime...

      Delete
  5. Jon, I've truly enjoyed stopping by to read your posts. I remembered the smoke and mirror ones because I was truly amazed at the support you had given your friend. Not everyone would have stuck by with someone being accused of such an offense but you kept going and didn't give up (I say you got true cockney spirit) That says a lot about a person to me, and I'm not surprised that you took a break afterwards.

    I hope that all the things you mentioned such as more friends, fewer enemies, less tragedy etc become reality for you in 2013. As for blogging, you have a very honest, upfront open way of expressing yourself, and I love how you are willing to give it to us raw, without flinching. When you speak of personal issues it encourages me to dig deep and search myself. It gives me an attitude that if you can change, so can I. Your post called: "Proceed with Caution" was a real insight into your life, so I hope people check that out too. I had my seat-belt on for sure.

    I have no doubt that when more people find your blog via networking, they will support it, and I know you're not into the numbers game.

    I can't wait to break in the New Year with you Jon, so make sure you have the rum on the rocks ready. I take this opportunity to say, it's been more than a pleasure to meet you. I hope that 2013 brings you true happiness, peace and a great New Year. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly enjoy seeing you here on my blog, and visiting your blog too. Your blog is one of my favorites to visit. You talk about so many things that need to be talked about. And you do it in a way that is non-offensive, and thought inspiring.

      The smoke and mirrors stuff was a pretty amazing experience. Once in a life time I hope. The only reason I gave the defendants so much support though, was because I KNEW that my buddy was not guilty of the things they were being charged with. I really didn't support blindly just because he was my friend. It would have been different if I had shadows of doubt. But I knew better, and there was no way I was going to sit quietly by and watch them get rail-raoaded, without saying so. And while the truth did come out in the end... I still feel like the powers that be are rampantly out of control.

      Proceed with Caution was a very meaningful post for me. It was actually an easier post to write than most, because it is all just my feelings. Not to hard for me to tap into that well... The hard part was pushing that publish button and putting it out there for the world to see. But it is who I am... And that's what this blog is about. I am glad that you and quite a few others appreciate the post.

      I will be looking forward to breaking in the New Year with you. I have a pint of raspberry rum in the fridge... It's been there for almost a year. I don't drink often, just special occasions. But I will be sure to have a drink to you on the fourth, as I will be considering that a special occasion.

      Happy New Year RPD, I hope the new year brings health, happiness, and prosperity to you and your family. Best of luck friend...

      Delete
  6. Nice post Jon! I laughed...I cried... ok not really but the Granny thing got me. Happy new year Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Tess. Happy New Year to you too. We need to get together soon and hang out. Love ya'.

    ReplyDelete