Saturday, December 1, 2012

Proceed With Caution

   Well, I had a nice happy post prepared, with lot's of new pictures of places and critters to share. A sappy story with a morale and a message... Then I found out I was out of photo storage on my free google account. The option of resolution they offered was to upgrade my account and pay for more storage. I decided to delete a couple of previous posts to create space for new pictures. But then found out it may take more than forty-eight hours for the change to reflect in my available storage. Call it cheap, call it broke, doesn't matter I'm both. I can't afford to put money into my blog of thirty-three members. Not even three bucks a month. This blog hasn't made me any money... And even though some form of advertising is in my future here, in all reality this blog will probably never make any money. That's just reality.
   I hope you don't take that wrong. I've gotten everything I wanted out of this endeavor, and more. It has been an extremely rewarding experience. This is a place I can come and say whatever I want, and I do. And as much as I want my words to reach and affect people, you can read it or not... It doesn't matter to me. This is my therapy, my outlet, my out-reach, my education, and my reality.
   None of that is what I came here to talk about though, I figured that since I could not post pictures for a time, I would write about things that don't require pictures. No beautiful animals, colorful flowers, vibrant scenery, or family photos. No fluffy words, or padded messages. Although hopefully, I will end with a morale to the story. Today I came to write about reality.
   If you are a sensitive reader, turn back now. This isn't for you. If you are a member of my family, proceed with caution... Or don't read further. If you are some one that sees me through the rose colored glasses an internet friendship creates, you may be in for a surprise. In other words... If you don't want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly, this is the time to hit the back-button and go back to facebook, or G+, or where ever it is you came here from, and forget you ever came here.

   Over the last... Oh, fifteen to twenty years. I have gotten the same question from a number of people. Important people, my family, my life-long friends. Even sometimes when they don't ask me directly, I can see the question in their eyes... "Jon, where has the smile gone?"
   Admittedly, I am not as playful as I once was. I don't laugh as often, or smile as much. I have a more serious attitude, and somewhat resigned outlook. I've given different people different answers to this question, usually whatever answer will end that conversation the quickest. Because the question is not really fair.
   There are a lot of things that happen in life that affect our smiles, and a lot of those things have happened in my life. A lot of those things happen in everyone's lives. I'm not special in that regard. But instead of trying to answer a loaded question... Let me propose a few questions to you, and share some experiences while I consider my answer. Then, if you can relate with any of them, you can tell me, how you have kept your own smile. And maybe we can learn together.
   I'm not going to use names, only references. The experiences I will share are brief synopsis of some very long periods of time in my life. Jump to conclusions and make assumptions at your own peril.

   I'll start with the most obvious question, and the most cliche'. Have you ever loved someone, and lost in love? I have. I gave someone my heart, which was everything I had to give. She was the love of my life. My soul-mate, if you believe in such things. But at that time in my life, I wasn't ready. It's a longer story than I want to get into here. But in the end, I wasn't ready. I left her. She left me. I haven't seen or heard from her since.  There was never a time in my life when I felt happier. There has never been a time since, that my heart has felt as full. And I never want to feel that way again. It hurt too much to lose it. And it takes a little something out of you.
   The next question I would ask, just as obvious, is have you ever been abused? I have. Physically. Sexually.  Emotionally. And as a result of the three, I believe Spiritually. I remember my step-father pulling me across the yard by my hair, screaming at me because I hadn't stacked the firewood in the back yard. Or worse yet... Of all the people I've ever known, all the low-life scumbags and ruthless characters I've run across in my days, in all the confrontations I have had with people, the only person who has literally spit in my face... Is my own father. My Hero... My Mentor. And I remember things now from younger in my childhood, things that at this point in life there is no point in mentioning, no good can come from it. But the fact remains those memories and more, are there. And it takes a little something out of you.
   From here, for me anyway, the questions get a little tougher. And the order I want to ask them is a little more difficult to choose. I'll continue with this question next, because these situations in my own life, have probably had the least impact on my ability to smile. But it has had it's affects. Have you experienced the passing of a loved one? I have, and in the last five years the rate of that happening seems to have increased. I've lost close friends, an uncle, two grand-father figures, my grandmother, my father. I am glad to be able to say that at the time of each, I was at peace with my relationship with those people. Not everyone gets that luxury, and I don't have to explain losing someone you love. It takes a little something out of you.
   Then I would ask if you've ever done anything your ashamed of? Something deplorable, something that eats at you? Something that makes it hard to sleep at night? This is one of the hardest questions for me to answer, the hardest one to be honest about. I have. And not just one thing, many things. Some worse than others. I have stolen from my family. I've lied, cheated, used, abused, deceived  the list goes on. I've killed and tortured the little creatures that I'm so sensitive and sappy about now. I have stolen and destroyed peoples property without a care or concern if it was their last. Or if it was the only something they had, that meant anything. I've done all these things and worse. I've done things that will never get written about here, things that will never get spoken of anywhere. There are some of you out there who may think I have told you my deepest, darkest secrets. I haven't. Whenever I meet someone these days that I affected in these ways I do my best to say more than I'm sorry, I try to make  it clear that I don't live like that anymore. I don't think like that anymore. I try to make amends with everyone I can. And do whatever good deeds I can. I've had quite a bit of success with this approach and I have made amends with most people in my life. I'm blessed with a wonderful family, and a long list of genuine friends that very few can boast. But some of these situations will never be resolved, it's not possible. And all of it together takes a more than a little something out of you.
   I only have a couple of questions left. Then I'll try to make all of this make sense. So, next question is have you ever had to live in place, for a long period of time, where you feel lost, where every day is spent in fear? This covers a very wide variety of situations... And, as all of the questions I've asked, there are many ways one could relate to this question. I have. I spent about three and a half years in prison, for some of the reasons I expressed in the last question. I don't try to claim innocence, or pass responsibility. I did what I did. I paid the consequences. And I try and do live a better life now. But all those days and nights spent watching over my shoulder, all the holidays and birthdays and special events that ticked by one by one, all the missed memories... And then there are the memories that I did't miss while I was there. Those are harder to deal with still. It all takes a toll, and it takes a little something out of you.
   Some of you may be able to relate to some of these circumstances and questions, some not. We all have our own circumstances. I myself have so many more that I could add to any one of these questions. But my final question is one that I think everyone can relate to in some way or another. Have you ever felt like you try to pick yourself up, time after time to brush the dust off, only to be knocked back down to the dirt? I have. I'm sure I don't even have to get into it, it's called life, you know... And it takes a little something out of you.

   Now, I'm not writing this to try to make anyone feel sorry for me, quite the opposite really. I certainly don't feel sorry for myself. I'm not trying to cause arguments in my family, or hard feelings with friends.This post is not directed at any individual. Many of the things I have discussed, and things I haven't, have been resolved many years ago. I warned you about reading this, and about jumping to conclusions and making assumptions.
   I'm not even writing this because I have been asked this question. As loaded as the question is, it's a genuine question born of love and concern. But someone else asking this question is not the reason. I'm writing this because I ask myself all the time... "Jon, where's the smile gone?" and these are some of the things that need to be considered to answer the question. I'm writing this for my own benefit and personal gain. If you can gain some insight into why I am who I am, or even better why you are who you are, all the better for it.
   I guess when all is said and done. If I had to answer that question, "Where has the smile gone?" my answer would be as follows.

   A smile is not merely a grin on someone's face. It is a look in someones eye. It's carried in their posture. The person that gives a smile feels it in their heart, and so does the person who receives it. A smile can say thank-you or your welcome, please or thank-you. A smile can say I appreciate you, or I love you. A smile can say I feel comfortable in your presence, it can say I trust you.
   Where has my smile gone? Nowhere. I still have it. I never lost it. Admittedly, I don't share it as freely. I protect it. I even hide it. But it's still there. Most smiles are not free,  and while a few are... The ones you really feel are earned. And when my smile does appear, when I do feel my smile... When you do.... It means that much more.

   So, is everyone as excited as I am to get back to posting pictures...

 
 
 
 


14 comments:

  1. This is probably the most thorough blog cleansing I have ever read. Parts of it were painful to read---and you probably know why I say that---but I am also incredibly proud of you for having the courage to post something so heart wrenching. Despite the things that happened in your past or the things you may be ashamed of, through it all one thing is clear--you have a gentle soul. This is something I recognized in you a long time ago. Be proud of who you are today, Jon. You have come a long way from your past. I hope one day you can open your heart a little more and not always fear being hurt as you were in the past. Even though I don't "see" you, I have felt your smile--many times. Please don't ever lose it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks MM. For me, this post was surprisingly easy to write. It was far and away the hardest one for me to publish. I am afraid it can portray a little darker of a picture than I intended. I do pretty good these days. I am proud of who I am. I still have many hurdles, I struggle from time to time. But I have been learning how to cope with these issues and so many more, for a long time. Most days are really good, and my life is FULL of blessings. My only hope in writing this is to learn a little more about myself, and offer some of those who may know me (in one form or another) a little more insight into why I am the way I am.
    I know a lot of people read my blog. Most of them are people who know me personally. Not many leave their comments, so I thank you for always taking the time to leave your opinions. This is an easier way for me to communicate. I don't communicate emotion well, not face to face. It's to hard. But here there are no interruptions, no distractions, or interjections. It allows me to just say what I have to say. I guess what anyone else does with it after that is up to them.
    Thanks for all the kind words, thanks for reading along on my blog. Mostly though, thanks for taking the time to get to know me, and being a friend. See you around...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made sure I had my seat belt on when I read the opening paragraph of this post, as I knew it was going to be a hard one.

    Jon, you really hit a nerve with me and I truly admire how you shared many things that others may not speak of openly. It's clear from reading this that you're not the type to blame society or others for some of the things that happened to you. You brutally owned up to what you've done and have made every effort to put things right whenever you can.

    You are so right when you mentioned that some situations may never be resolved. Somethings things in life get broken, and whatever we say or do, we are unable to fix it. Sad but true. We carry those experiences around with us in life in the form of memories and scars.

    I fully understand about the knocks in life as I've had a few in my time on this earth. It's easy to say just get back up again, but mud weighs a ton and it sticks, so it can be very tough getting back up. I'm very glad that you have some good family and friends, as this makes a big difference in life. I'm also glad that you've got the mindset to do good deeds whenever you can, because when people go through some of the things you've mentioned they totally give up and continue in their old ways, destroying others and themselves in the process.

    You've given me so much food for thought here. It's just amazing to think what's behind a person's smile. I'm glad you've still got yours. This post has encouraged me greatly in more ways that I can say at the moment.
    I'm glad (in a good way) that you didn't have your photos this time otherwise we would have missed this brilliant post from you.

    Great post Jon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God for seat belts.

      I appreciate anonymity, It is a great tool to use in many situations. And necessity in others. But some things need to be said openly. Sometimes a person just has to say "This is me. This is how I feel. This is what I believe... Take it or leave it."

      That's a great analogy with the mud. And I really get the sense you understand what I was trying to accomplish with this post. Which is really very, rewarding to me. After I posting it, I reread it as it appears on the page, and I was really afraid people might not understand. I was afraid it might be taken as just another sob story. A poor me plea for help, if you will. After reading Menopausal Mother's comment and now your own, I know I hit the nail on the head.

      I want to change the world. But I can't... I can only change myself. And in doing so, if I can inspire just one person, to make a difference in their own life, then I have accomplished my goal.

      I don't live in shame anymore, I don't hold on to regrets and wish things were different. There is only one person that I am accountable for, and I have been able to make peace that person. I am a good person. People will judge, people will make assumptions... But in the end there is only one judgement that will matter to me.

      Thanks for stopping by, thanks for leaving your thoughts, and thanks for not judging. But I want to get back to some pictures. I can't post like this all time... :)

      See ya' next time...

      Delete
  4. Oh my brother... I love you. Have I told you that lately? I suppose I am one of the lucky ones. Most days I see that smile, even if your lips aren't curved upward. Sometimes that smile fills my heart with joy, sometimes that smile just breaks it.

    All of this, all this "confession" or whatever we call it, all the "little something" that was taken out of you piece by piece, makes you the man you are today. To me, you are the same man you have always been, the same little boy. I never saw the bad in you because you never showed it my way. You had my back then, you've got my back now. You would have done anything to keep me from being hurt then... the same is true now. You were funny and sweet then, and yes you are now. I see the same person, my brother, my friend, that I have always seen and loved and enjoyed hanging out with.

    I know you've lived hard. You've made a crap load of mistakes and bad decisions. So what? So have I. When you read the "have you ever been abused" part, and having known and lived with the same men you mention, the "have you ever done something you're ashamed of" part comes to me with little surprise. In truth though, you haven't changed at your core. You've toughened up the outside to protect what was always precious and gentle and soft on the inside. It's called survival.

    I think the thing that hurts me most, the thing that brings the tear, is that I wasn't brave enough, or strong enough, or tough enough, or smart enough, to save you from it. My thing I'm ashamed of is the beatings I let you take for me, the lies I told to save my own ass - at your expense, and the contribution I made to some of those people we mentioned before, to some of their false perception of you. Yes, I was a kid too. No, I didn't know how bad it was until years after. Yes, I've apologized before. No, you never held it against me, you never even complained at me about it. You just took it. AND THAT'S THE KIND OF PERSON YOU ARE no matter what actions you took to prove to the world otherwise. And I know we're good, were better than good, we're rock solid, but regret... oh yes, I still have some.

    So my brother... I thank you. Have I told you that lately? I suppose I am one of the lucky ones. Most days I see that smile, even if your lips aren't curved upward. Sometimes that smile fills my heart with joy, sometimes that smile just breaks it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tess, Thanks for puttin' in you two cents, it's means a lot. And yes, You tell me all the time just how much you love me. But you don't have to say it, because I know it already. There's never been a doubt about that... Even when we were little. I think you were/are brave, and strong, and tough, and smart. And there is still nothing YOU could have done to change situations in the past. I hope you can let go of any of those regrets, because you own zero of the blame. I don't know that there are people to "blame". Life happens to us all. We could blame the generations above us, but look at their lives and were they came from, and how they were treated... Maybe they didn't know any better either. All we can do is make the best of today. And make sure our younger generations have a better tomorrow. The past is gone, and so should be our regret.
    Thanks for being you Traci... I wouldn't be who I am now, with out you. I love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your ability to write this publicly - with your name attached to it. It takes a lot of courage to let the whole world know how you feel.

    I don't know of any truly wise people who didn't go through a lot to get there so maybe one day (maybe that day has already come) you will look back and realize you had to go through all that hardship to know what you know today. Maybe it was all worth it, maybe you accept it, maybe you wouldn't change a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it were possible... there are definitely things I would change. I have very few real regrets though. We can only try not to make the same mistakes twice (or a dozen times for that matter.)I really do think we all have a purpose. Not necessarily a predetermined destiny... But, I think our life experiences add up to something we are supposed to share. I don't know what my purpose is, I may never know. I think a lot of people go through their entire life never knowing what their purpose was, even if they have already fulfilled it. Our actions have a much further reaching impact that we never even know about. So today I just try to make the best decisions I can and continue to try to move forward.
      Thanks for the kind word Atticus, nice to hear from you.

      Delete
  7. Firstly, Jon, you are a gifted and articulate writer. Although I've never met you, I feel as though we were sitting together, talking. I truly admire and enjoy that style of writing...it's so intimate. Secondly, you possess character: you hold yourself accountable, and you're processing through the aftermath. What's past is past. I know your smile is genuine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helena, thanks for the sincere compliment. I was touched by the story you shared about your brother, and I thought you might like this post. I'm glad you came to read it, and I hope you were able to take something of value from my story.

    I also have enjoyed your writing style, it's straight from the heart, sincere, and honest. Just the kind of person I like to associate myself with. I will certainly be keeping an eye on your blog... I hope you will visit here again as well.

    Thanks for taking the time to read my story and leaving your views. See ya next time...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jon, there are smiles that happen so deep inside us no one can see them. Smiles of recognition. The sort of smile I had reading your post, seeing so much of my younger self in the actions and experiences which you described. Anger and self-destruction: I walked that road awhile. It was long ago, in another place, another time, and I am very good at forgetting. Like a bad dream, it all means nothing now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much. I'm glad I was a able to give you a smile. Much of the experience I share in this post is also from another place and time. I am in a pretty peaceful place these days. Even being at peace with the past though, doesn't always remove all the affects of our experience. I like to think everything means something, and there is value in our past mistakes. I think the value is in sharing the experience. When I share that experience with the right person, when my experience helps someone have a better experience, then the experience I had turns from anger or sadness, to peace and happiness.

    Thanks for coming by and sharing your view. It's good to hear peoples reactions to what I write, so often I'm left with a different perspective on my own thoughts. Hope you continue to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon, then I think you might like this D.H. Lawrence quote: "I write about everything that happens to me. What else can I do with it?" Lawrence, too, felt the urgency of sharing his life experiences with others.

      Delete
    2. I'm not familiar with D.H. Lawrence, I see I'll have to change that.

      Delete