Okay, I have to say I am a little disgusted by some of the things I have read within social media this morning. Today is November 6, 2012. It is our day to vote. And I believe in voting. I have read several posts on facebook and two blog posts that are just eating at me... Now I am just as cynical as the next guy, maybe even more so in a lot of ways. But to hear people say that MY vote doesn't count pisses me off. For you to insinuate that I am ignorant for believing that MY vote DOES count, offends my intelligence. You say that if I believe I matter as an individual I don't understand the electoral process... Sorry, but the reverse is true. Yes, who becomes President is decided by the electoral college (which in my opinion is crap), and my individual vote does not directly dictate who is elected to this office. But the President is not the only office on the ballot. There are other federal positions to vote on, there are state positions to vote on, there are local positions to vote on... And my individual vote DOES count in who gets elected to these positions, that in turn influences the electoral college and who gets elected to the Presidents Office.
But to be completely honest I don't care WHO gets elected to a position. Even the president. They are just people and they will be gone in the blink of an eye. Here today gone tomorrow. More important to me on election day than the WHO is the WHAT. The proposals that we vote on are far more important in my opinion. These are new laws, and Constitutional amendments that are going to directly influence my day to day life. These are issues that are going to last longer than the politicians who propose them. These are issues that are going to carry on to our children and grandchildren. And MY vote MATTERS.
So... You want to tell me I'm wasting my time voting. I want to tell you, YOU ARE a waste of time if you don't. And what really pisses me off is YOU are going to be whining and complaining about how messed up you feel things are for the next four years and you'll blame it on everyone else but yourself.
Dude, you totally nailed it! I'm constantly impressed with you and your ability to state things so succinctly.
ReplyDeleteLove you little brother!
:)
DeleteNice.
ReplyDelete-Your brother.
Your nice too.
DeleteWow! You just spoke MY mind!! I am also tired of the rude comments that have been flying across Facebook lately---I never discuss politics there and am appalled at how some people lost "friendships" over the constant bickering. And as far as someone saying our vote doesn't count, well that's just a bunch of bullsh**! Our soldiers went to war and died for us to have the freedom to vote, so how dare someone belittle that right! I also agree with you that the electoral college vote is crappy but in the end they still have to look at the sum of the voting numbers. AND on our local levels, of COURSE our vote counts!!
ReplyDeleteWell written blog, Jon. Glad to see you back at it because I've missed reading your posts!
Yeah I get pretty tired of it all myself, I'm glad it's all over and we can move on now. It never ceases to amaze me how zealous people become with their political opinions. Some of the worst fights I've seen have been over politics. I don't know, but I thought we were allowed to have our own opinions, we don't have to agree on everything. That is WHY we vote in the first place. So, most of the time I wish people would keep their political opinions to themselves, and express them in the voting booth. Not to say we shouldn't discuss our differences or debate a point from time to time. But I'm certainly not going to get bent out of shape about it. I do like to talk politics, but I don't push my own agenda. I don't outwardly express who I support, or how I will vote. I just try to get people involved, I push the importance of knowing what is going on in our Government and around the world. I try to make people understand the importance of voting, and taking more active roles in local government. That's how change is made... Not by arguing with each other.
DeleteOkay, I'm getting carried away myself... I just can't help it sometimes.
Thanks for stopping in, always a pleasure. Sorry I'm not more prompt with my replies. I'll be stopping by your blog before the day is out. Take care.
Well said. I don't know exactly how the American system works but I always say to people that if they decide not to vote, then don't start complaining soon as the one in power starts to make decisions, as that person's vote, just may have kept the new leader out of power etc. I'm so glad to see you writing again Jon, as every so often I do pop round to see what you are doing. I love your no nonsense fresh approach.
ReplyDeleteRUM-PUNCH! What's up buddy, love to hear from you. To be honest, at this point I'm not sure that the American system does work. Our president is decided by the Electoral College, and I did not really explain properly how that works in my post. I think that would take a blogpost all by itself. But our individual votes do not directly decide who will be elected. And as I said in the post, I don't believe who the president is really makes all that much difference. Our votes DO directly decide Constitutional Amendments, new laws, and local government seats and issues, and that is the important stuff anyway. Our President can't really make decisions on his own anyway, he's not much more than a puppet if you ask me. He has to go through congress, and the senate to do anything. And guess who decides the seats in those... WE do. Anyway I could go on for days about this stuff. I'm sure you had the point already. But the bottom line is just what the title of this post says. If you don't vote, I don't want to hear it.
DeleteThanks for checking in. I am sporadic about my writing here. That's just the way I am, and it probably won't change much. I can't seem to just sit down and write regularly. I run out of things to say. It drains my brain. I really have to feel some passion for what I'm writing about to make it worth reading. I like to write, it helps me sort my own thoughts, but I'm not a writer... Not really. I have a lot of respect for people like you, and some others I have come across, who are able to make one or two posts a week, and respond to every comment, and still keep their writing interesting and engaging. It's a LOT of work. I won't quit writing here, sometimes I feel like it, but I won't. I get too much benefit from it to stop. So I hope you keep checking in from time to time.
I'll be by to see you at your site soon I promise... Until then my friend.
Well written blog. People really cannot complain about the situation of this country if they are too lazy to get out and vote for what they think is most important. The electoral college is crap in my opinion too. Your entries always cut to the chase. Good read.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jared. I just say what I think... It's all I've got. Glad you have enjoyed reading. Hope you keep coming back. I'm going to surprise you one of these day's and leave some comments on your blog. LOL. That is a great profile picture by the way.
Delete