Friday, August 10, 2012

Smoke and Mirrors 21 - The Last Page

    Well I have a lot of catching up to do. (Whats new?) So I will start with yesterday and the final day of the Hutaree Militia vs. United States Federal Trial.
   I headed back to Detroit with friends Mike Meeks, who was a defendant in the trial, and was acquitted of all charges. And Matt Anderson, who attended nearly the whole trial with me, and was my ride to court nearly every day. There we met up with Wendy Lineweaver, and Tom Piatek (also a co-defendant who was acquitted of all charges) to attend the sentencing of  David Stone Sr., Joshua Stone, and Joshua Clough.
   As we walked towards the courthouse, the building seemed a little ominous and intimidating in a way. The trial was was very stressful to watch as it unfolded. Not only was there an emotional investment in the trial as I watched one of my best friends facing a lifetime behind bars. There was also the fact that I felt like my own rights were on trial as the evidence unfolded, and I saw what really got these guys in this position. The fact that they spoke out against the government, and expressed that they would defend themselves, their rights, and their way of life against any threat, foreign or domestic, was held against them. Their religions were held against them. The fact that they had weapons and ammunition was held against them. The fact that they had literature about guns, tactics, government issues, and yes even Bibles were held against them. The fact that these guys were incarcerated for two years without ever having a trial. All this and more left me feeling very unsettled about what I was watching. These are all issues that are protected in our own Constitution.
    But more than that... The unprofessional, prejudicial, and unethical actions of the FBI during their investigation of the Hutaree were reprehensible. It was sickening in my opinion. And it didn't do anything to restore any of the failing trust I seem to be developing myself with our government and it's agencies. It left me with a feeling I really can't describe, that I doubt will go away.
    Anyway, once we got in the building we met up with Josh Stone and Brittany Stone (David Stone Jr.'s wife), and I met Josh Clough for the first time. It didn't take long for the press to get a hold Mike, Tom, and the other defendants, wanting to know what they have been up to, what their predictions were, how they wipe their butts... I heard one reporter ask Mike why he was attending, as he was acquitted. I thought to myself and wanted to say what a stupid question that was. But I try to stay pretty quiet around the press, I don't give them my name, I don't answer their questions, I don't want them to quote me. I snarl at them, and they leave me alone. I have an ugly snarl I guess, but the relationship suits me. I thought it was a dumb question, obviously because Mike was a defendant and a part of this piece of history. But also because these are Mike's friends, and knowing how I feel about my friends, he very well could think of them as a sort of family... Why wouldn't he be there. Mike simply told him it was like reading a book and not reading the last page. And that is very much how I felt about being there. I sat through the whole thing and have a lot time invested otherwise relaying my view of what I saw here. I really felt I had to see it through to the end.
    So what was the end you ask? Well, we made it to the courtroom and David Sr. was present with his attorney William Swor.  Attorney Doug Thomas for Josh Stone was there. As well as Tina Stone and her father. Josh Clough's parents and several other familiar faces were there as well. Honorable Judge Victoria Roberts came out and the proceedings began.
    Sheldon Light stood for the prosecution and Joshua Stone took the podium first. Joshua Stone plead guilty to one charge of possession of a machine gun. He was awarded two points to his sentencing guidelines for acceptance of responsibility. Sheldon Light argued but the Judge said she felt it was appropriate. He was sentenced to time served and two years of probation. In the time Joshua has been released from prison, he has found gainful employment, he has obtained his GED, and has enrolled in college courses. Congratulations Josh. I hope you continue to excel.
    Josh Clough was up next. He was not present for most of the trial, and I have not written much about him in my Smoke and Mirrors posts. As with the rest of the defendants, except Mike, I had never met Josh and there was very little said regarding him during the trial really. So, of all the defendants I have the least exposure to him. I was glad to have the opportunity to meet him yesterday, he was a nice enough guy. To be honest he seemed a bit shy, and quite guarded about who he may want to talk too. And I don't blame him. Maybe some day we will have the chance to meet under more comfortable circumstances. Josh, facing life behind bars, negotiated a plea before the trial began. He was on stand-by as a potential witness I believe, but was never called to the stand. He was allowed to renegotiate his plea in light of the acquittals. He plead guilty to possession of a short barrel rifle. With no argument from the prosecution he was sentenced to time served and two years probation. Josh, good luck in the days ahead.
    David Stone Sr. took the podium last he was also awarded two points to his sentencing guidelines. To which Sheldon light tried offering a little stauncher opposition. But as with his son Josh, the Judge saw fit to award the points. His guidelines were still slightly higher than his son's and Clough's, his minimum guidelines exceeded his time served by about four months.His attorney William Swor argued that in light of the fact he had served the entire two years of his incarceration under maximum security conditions while the other defendants were under lower security conditions or out on bond, and the fact that he would lose any progress towards regaining a normalcy of life would be lost, and in addition he has lost his home and pretty much everything he owns, that there was really no point in incarcerating him again. And in her judgement, Judge Roberts also did not see a benefit in incarcerating him again and he was sentenced to time served and two years probation.
    David and Josh went to have their tethers removed. I went outside to smoke. Even when things are going as well as one could possibly hope, that place does that to me... I get out of that building as fast as I can and chain-smoke for hours afterwards.
    I wasn't long standing outside and a small gathering of  people had formed while waiting for others to come out of the building. We all exchanged pleasantries and made small talk about how happy we all were with the outcome. Josh Clough's parents were there and I took the chance to offer a self introduction and a little congratulations to them. I know they have to be relieved to have this over with, and as an ex-convict myself I remember what my Mother went through in the process, and I can tell you first hand the profound effects that legal problems have on the families of the accused, guilty or innocent, is devastating. I said hi I'm Jon, I'm Mikes friend. And she asked, are you that guy... on the internet... that wrote about all this. She told me that she relied on what I wrote to keep up on what was happening in the courtroom. She said how she had wanted to attend the trial but it just wasn't possible, and she expressed very sweetly how much it meant to her to read what I wrote. No matter how many times it happens it always surprises me a little when I meet someone, a complete stranger no less, who says thanks for what you wrote, and it touches me deeply when they say, it really helped me through my day. Well, that's why I did it. So thank you for reading, and please know that your compliment helped me through my day.
    As far as the other defendants go. David Jr. sounds like he is doing well. He is working and enjoying time with his family. He and his wife Brittany celebrated their marriage shortly after the acquittals, They were married only shortly before the arrests and did not get to celebrate properly until now. I was graciously invited to the party, but unfortunately could not attend due to previous obligations.
    Tina and Dave Sr. are hoping to be in their own place soon, moving on with their lives. Dave has found temporary work and is working on a more permanent position from what I understand. It also sounds like they have been taking advantage of spending time with their families, especially the grandkids.
    Kris Sickles, I hear is doing well. Sounds as if he is back to work and is enjoying time with the family as well. All of the defendants, except those convicted of felonies, and Kris who was acquitted of all charges, have received their property back from the FBI with a few discrepancies here and there. I didn't get the details on what the SNAFU was, why they haven't released his property to him... But Kris I really hope that gets worked out for you and good luck to you in the future.
   Tom Piatek went to grab a bite to eat with myself, Wendy, Mike and Matt. He is back to work as well, and it sounds as though he isn't having any problems he's not going to be able to deal with. I have really enjoyed meeting the Piateks, a great bunch of guys they are. Tom I understand your a fellow fisherman, so from one fisherman to another, I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavors. I hope someday we have a chance to throw a couple of hooks together. Stan if you happen to read this, my best regards to you. I hope life is treating you fairly. I think you should be expecting a call from me soon, we should touch base.
    And as far as Mike, he as well as the rest is back to work and enjoying being home. He has been staying with his parents temporarily while his own home is under repairs. And it is a great pleasure for me to add that Mike, always one to take an active role as an American, ran for and is now Constable of Bridgewater Township. Way to go Mike. Your my freakin' hero man. We have gotten together several times since his release and as always it is a pleasure. I'm sure it will happen many more times in the future. Congratulations Constable. See you soon Buddy.
    It is my opinion that we should all follow his example, there are many of us who could take a more active approach to making a difference in what happens around us. If you want change, you need to work to make that change. It won't happen sitting on your couch complaining about the way things are or the way you think they should be. If you want change... Get up and make it. YOU can make a difference.
    While much of my writing about this trial has been a bit on the angry side, there were times when I got quite emotional about it. There were some redeeming factors. The U.S. Government can thank Judge Victoria Roberts for me not completely throwing in the towel on the idea of Justice. And if they don't care about MY opinion, I hope they know that I am not alone. I know many others who feel the same way. If I ever see Judge Roberts name on the ballot for Supreme Court, or any other position for that matter, she will have my vote.
    And I can not express how thankful I am to the attorneys who stood for the defendants in this case. They invested everything in this trial, and it showed. And they did it because they believed they were right, and it showed. I am thankful that there are people out there with the courage and the intelligence to be able to stand up to the U.S. Government, the FBI, the federal judicial system and say THIS IS NOT RIGHT. Because let me tell you, those attorneys, were the only thing that kept my and your rights safe for today. At least that's the way I see it. And that's the way I'm going to speak it... straight from my mind.

8 comments:

  1. God Bless brother. Yours truly. Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that things turned out well and that the trial is over. It will certainly take time to return to normalcy--if that is possible. But at least you took a stand and spoke your mind--a lot more than most people would do. And you're right--nothing will ever change in government unless we all do our part and take a stand for our constitutional rights. I also think it's wonderful that you were able to blog about it, express your feelings and help the other families in the process. Good job, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I don't know about the other fella's but I don't think I've ever really known what "normal" is. Thank-you for the gracious and thoughtful comment. The things you mentioned were exactly some of the things I hoped people would take from this whole fiasco. So this comment really meant a lot, as always thanks for reading.

      Delete
  3. Thank-you Wira, and many nice days to you. I hope you check in again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good i like it . and i want to be your friend read my blog...

    http://jobsoftypingnewin2012.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice wrapup of sentencing Jon. Sorry I couldn't be there; was stuck in another courtroom. Great coverage across the board of the trial and the important issues involved. Best, TS (David Jr.'s attorney)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a pleasant suprise, nice to hear from you. Glad you checked in on me, and thank you for the compliment. More than that, I would like to say what a great job too you. My hat's off to you and all the attorneys involved. You guys were spectacular! Best wishes to you in your future.

      Delete