This is my Grandfather, LaVerne Ottmar. This picture was taken in 1964. The year my Grandfather died. He died while out rabbit hunting from a massive heart-attack at the age of fifty-six. Being that I was born in 1971 I never had the opportunity to meet him. The car you see behind him is the Chevy 6. A car that he built from the ground up at home in his garage, on the corner of Miller and Fountain in Ann Arbor, MI. That is my Mother sitting in the car at age thirteen.
This is my Mother sitting in his car again in 2008, in Connecticut. She received information on the cars location then, and made a trip out east to go see the car for herself. The car itself has a little bit of history and my family had lost track of the cars where-abouts for a long time. So I am sure it was quite an experience for her to go see a piece of her past.
The deal with this car is not that it was super fast. It isn't that it won a ton of races. It was a six cylinder engine racing against big-block eights, and not just keeping up, it was a competitor. It was a fuel injected six cylinder, and it was the only one of it's kind.
My Grandfather had worked for GM. I don't know dates and times unfortunately. But as I understand it he worked with the team, and was directly involved in the pioneering and invention of fuel injection. Of course, GM was full owner of any technology engineered by their employees, and my Grandfather never received any credit for his involvement. I don't know if it was these events specifically, but he and GM ended up parting on what I understand to be "bad terms".
Some time after he left GM. Or possibly during the end of his career with them he started building this car.
As I said, he built it in his garage, with what ever he could find to use. He had friends who worked with him on the car, but as my Mom tells it the garage was a secretive place. What happened in the garage stayed in the garage. He machined his own parts, cut and bent his own pipes and steel, and shaped all the sheet metal. He built the engine, the fuel systems, the frame and suspension. He did it all. Quite an accomplishment all on it's own.
My Grandfather was very well known, and respected within racing circles. My Mother has a collection of photos from, I would guess, the 40's and 50's. They are all black and white photos of race cars, racing teams, and drivers. Some of them show Indianapolis Speedway when it was a dirt track. Nearly all of them are not just autographed, but have personal notes to him on them. And as I understand it there were always race cars parked outside of their house, waiting their turn to go in the garage to receive my Grandfathers attention.
This car was a culmination of all his racing experience. GM became interested in what he had created in this car, and at some point offered to buy the car. Because of the bad blood that had developed between them, my Grandfather flat refused. As a matter of fact, he said he would rather park it under the porch and piss on it than sell it to GM.
My Grandfather retained the car until he died in 1964. After that my Grandmother sold the car. And that is were the history of the car becomes less clear to the family.
Years later Jack Layton was in Ohio and recognized the car in a scrap heap. He obtained the car and rebuilt and restored it. It is not clear to me how long he had the car, but over time it ended up living in a couple of different museums, and was eventually purchased by this private collector in Connecticut. And I'm sure there were others in between.
There have been several magazine articles about this car. My favorite is an article published in Open Wheel Magazine, in November of 1986, titled "My Life as a Sprint Car". It tells a version of the cars history, from the cars perspective. It's written as if the car is telling the story. Some of the story told there does not exactly match the things I have heard from my Mother, Aunts, and Uncle. It's okay, it doesn't have too, as I said even they are not clear as to what happened after the car was sold. So it is hard for me to say exactly how the car ended up in the places it did.
As well respected as he was within the racing community, there are a lot of different opinions regarding my Grandfather personally. He was definitely a unique individual no matter who you talk too. Some say he was a genius, some would tell you he was as crazy as his ideas. Knowing my family, I would be willing to believe maybe a little of both. Regardless, he created not just a piece of cool family history, and racing history, but he left a mark in time that will likely outlast generations of my family... I can only hope to do the same within my own lifetime. Hats off to Grandpa...
Years later Jack Layton was in Ohio and recognized the car in a scrap heap. He obtained the car and rebuilt and restored it. It is not clear to me how long he had the car, but over time it ended up living in a couple of different museums, and was eventually purchased by this private collector in Connecticut. And I'm sure there were others in between.
There have been several magazine articles about this car. My favorite is an article published in Open Wheel Magazine, in November of 1986, titled "My Life as a Sprint Car". It tells a version of the cars history, from the cars perspective. It's written as if the car is telling the story. Some of the story told there does not exactly match the things I have heard from my Mother, Aunts, and Uncle. It's okay, it doesn't have too, as I said even they are not clear as to what happened after the car was sold. So it is hard for me to say exactly how the car ended up in the places it did.
As well respected as he was within the racing community, there are a lot of different opinions regarding my Grandfather personally. He was definitely a unique individual no matter who you talk too. Some say he was a genius, some would tell you he was as crazy as his ideas. Knowing my family, I would be willing to believe maybe a little of both. Regardless, he created not just a piece of cool family history, and racing history, but he left a mark in time that will likely outlast generations of my family... I can only hope to do the same within my own lifetime. Hats off to Grandpa...

.jpg)
What a cool story! Your grandfather certainly sounds like an interesting character. I can't believe you all were able to find the same car years later!!! I also like the pics you posted with this blog. Nice to have family history recorded like this! Good job, Jon!
ReplyDeleteThanks M.M. It's always a pleasure to see you have visited. I really enjoy the family history, but it's not a story I can tell just anywhere... Without pictures or a magazine article to back up the story, you tell people your grandfather invented fuel injection and built one of a kind race cars and they look at you like "yeah right...", so I thought the blog would be a better place to display the story. Thanks for reading and commenting.
DeleteGreat pics of the family history. It came alive to me as you told it. There is nothing better in this world than to have a good family story backed up with authentic picture as well. Something for all the grandchildren. Lovely, lovely post.
ReplyDeleteR.P.D. nice to hear from you. I am glad you enjoyed the post. I hope this piece of our family history carries on for generations. We often pass stories of tragedy and problems on to our younger generations, stories of how our predecessors struggled and failed. And while my family has those stories as well, it is nice to be able to showcase some some stories of successes too. Thanks for the kind words...
DeleteThat's an awesome car! I don't know anything about engine but it amazes me whenever I see cool cars. Your grandfather is a genius. =)
ReplyDeleteJoan, thank you. To tell the truth I don't know much about cars and engines either. I wish I had met my grandfather, maybe he would have sparked the interest. What I really like though, is digging around in the past and learning whatever new things about my family I can dig up. It's pretty surprising the things you can find if you take the time to look. Thank you for visiting, and taking the time to comment, I hope you visit again...
DeleteI would love to have some time to do what you have done -to dig up and learn things about my family. The farthest thing I did about "digging up" was to attend our first family reunion (maternal side). There I learned where I came from. Although, I don't speak their dialect (Waray dialect [Visayan]). I just understand a bit of the dialect. They have to speak to me in either Tagalog or English. :D
DeleteDude, these pictures are awesome. I think it's so cool to see these kinds of things. I feel like my grandfather knew so many things that I never got to learn really. Kinda makes me sad. I miss him man. Nice to see you have all these great photo memories though :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Matthew, I feel much the same way having never actually met my Grandfather. It also makes these pictures that much more meaningful to me. Thanks for stopping in.
DeleteThis is awesome. I love history and I imagine digging up a piece of history that you also feel a part of is really neat. Mad scientist, genius, or some combination thereof your Grandfather sounds pretty impressive.
ReplyDeleteThanks Atticus, I think it's pretty awesome myself. Family history has always been interesting to me. I love to dig around in genealogy and find out cool new things about family. Everyone's family has something cool to discover, you just have to look.
Deletegood post about
ReplyDeletecar 66
I’m glad that this car was returned to its rightful owners. Surely, your grandpa is smiling from above seeing his beloved car back in your family’s garage. This is something your family can truly be proud of. I hope that you preserve this for more generations to come!
ReplyDeleteWe really just learned of it's present location. It is owned by a private collector, who I won't name. However some members of the family have expressed interest in purchasing the car if it ever goes back up for sale. Until then it is just cool knowing another little piece of the car's history.
DeleteThank you for reading and I hope you visit again.
Fantastic! After doing some restoration, that Chevy 6 returned to its great shape. In fact, it looks better than it did before. Have you try participating in a car show? I am certain that the car will truly grab a lot of people’s attention once you show it off!
ReplyDeleteHey Mickey, Thanks for stopping by and checking out the post. I'm not actually in possession of the car. It's owned by a private collector, and he does show it. He even still races it sometimes. I just learned of it's location, and thought it was very cool, after all these years. Hope you keep coming back.
DeleteYour grandfather’s story is truly remarkable! I bet the whole family was happy after seeing the car that your grandfather built. I hope that, someday, your family would find a way to bring back the car, and make more memories with it. But until then, it is certainly good news that the car is still in one piece.
ReplyDeleteThanks Timmy, Yes the family was excited, my mother was not the only one to travel across the country to see it. I have a couple of cousins that are keeping tabs on the car, and I'm confident if the car ever goes back for sale, it will come back to this our family. Thanks for reading, and for taking the time to leave me a comment.
ReplyDelete