Saturday, June 2, 2012

My Life In A Snapshot 4


   This photo was taken in 1987, I was sixteen years old. I was at an archery shoot at the Chippewa Blackhawks archery club, in Jackson, MI.

   I laugh when I look at this picture... Look at all that hair (it was the eighties...) I look so nice and innocent. I suppose I was a nice kid (most of the time...) But I was anything but innocent. This picture was taken a couple of months before I  was sent to the SAI (Special Alternative Incarceration) State Boot-camp Program. And probably a little more than a year before I was sentenced to State Prison. I'm still not ready to delve into that whole story, but that was were I was at that time in my life.
   Archery shoots were a staple activity for my dad and I. We went to at least one shoot every week, sometimes two. It was one of the things we did together that we really had a good time with each other. My dad was very proud of my ability with a bow.  For me, archery was more than that though. It was one of the few things that I was proud of my own ability with. It was something that I was good at, and enjoyed, and I didn't feel that way about many things then.
   My dad taught me about all aspects of traditional archery. By traditional archery I mean long bows, wooden arrows, shooting instinctively with no sites. He taught me how to shoot, how to make my own arrows, and craft leather to make my own quiver and arm-guards. I made the quiver and arrows I'm wearing in this picture as a matter of fact. We even made our own broad-heads from steel, bone, or antler. Not only was archery fun it was highly educational. There are countless life skills that I could tie to my experience with archery.
   One of the most valuable things I learned from archery was how to compete. And how to respect competitors. It isn't all about winning. In many sports there is a fellowship among it's competitors. But I think that to be especially true among traditional archers. My dad was friends with a lot of the guys that went to the archery clubs, and we went to a lot of different clubs. He was also a craftsman and traded goods with many of the fellows we would meet there. Often times we would shoot through the courses with his friends and their children. So I ended up spending the day hanging out with he kids I was competing against most of the time. For me it was about having fun, and having fun with my dad. I didn't really care about if I won or not.
   Don't get me wrong, I shot to win, I liked winning. And I did my fair share of it. But I could handle it if I didn't. And my dad always made a big deal of how well I did whether I won or not. Most of the time I congratulated whatever kid won and we got are bows and went to the practice targets or walked around and shot trash. There were times when I got competitive, but I didn't have as much fun... And I didn't shoot as well.
   I was a pretty skilled archer, even as a kid. I often did win if not place in most of the local tournaments. I attribute some of that to skill, but also there were times when there were not many kids that shot my class. Not to knock myself, that's just the way it was. I don't know how many trophies and medals I won, there were quite a few of them. My dad had our trophies on a sill in the kitchen, he valued them more than I did. The ones I was really proud of were the second place trophy I won for the overall at the Great Lakes National Longbow Invitationals in 1986, and the first place plaque I won at the same event for the aerial shoot. I hit eight out of ten, four inch discs thrown into the air. At my best, about a year later, right about when this picture was taken, I could usually hit six or seven out of ten quarters thrown into the air. And I have seen my dad shoot aspirins out of the air.
   I know, pretty unbelievable right. Well, it's true believe it or not. Archery was a very positive influence in my life, at one of my most negative times in my life. I loved it, and I put a lot into it. A lot of my family, and a few of the friends that I grew up with read this blog, and I promise you no one will call me out on my claims.
   Sadly, those times are past. I have my bow still, but I haven't shot in many years. I'm sure I could still hold my own, but I doubt I could ever reach that skill level again. For one thing, my reflexes and instincts are just not as sharp as they use to be. But more than that, a big part of the fun of archery for me, was the camaraderie at the shoots, and the time spent with my dad. It is not the same standing in the back-yard shooting at a target by yourself. And the people I run with these days just aren't into it like that.
   Honestly, It's not all that sad. I experienced archery in a way that not many people do. And I have never let go of the experience. I still carry all the knowledge, and lessons learned from the experience if not the skill. And I satisfy the same needs of camaraderie and fellowship through fishing. And my passion and love of fishing stems from the same experiences anyway. So, I guess it's not like there is some black-hole in my life from not shooting my bow. But, I'd be lying if I told you I didn't miss it sometimes. Maybe someday I'll get the bow back out and clean the dust off. Find somewhere and someone to fling some arrows around with. Until then, I'll treasure the memories and experiences I have gained from the great sport of archery, and I'll keep flinging those lures. If I ever quit fishing... just put me out of my misery.

11 comments:

  1. Just read this post, and it just goes to show that sometimes when you look at a young person having so much fun, you just don't know what has been going on in their life. Sometimes we even wish we were in their shoes! Well I did at times in my life.

    One thing you mentioned was about competing and how it wasn't all about winning. Many of the schools nowadays are discouraging competition because they don't want children to feel as if they are loosing. But in reality, I feel like they are preparing kids to fail by not teaching them that when you go out into the real world, there is competition and you can win or lose. It depends how you react to loss.

    As a thought why don't you try to get a small group of family/friends/local kids together on a weekend of fishing and Archery, even if just to teach a one day class? I'm sure the kids would love it, and so would you.

    Lovely post and once again, Congratulations for being Editors Pick of the Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know what they say, "Be careful what you wish for... You just may get it." All in all I have very few regrets in life. I believe things happen for a reason, and it is our experience that defines us. There is wisdom to be had from all our life experiences, good and bad. What we do with those experiences is what really matters.

    I agree with you fully about the need to instill a healthy competitive attitude in the younger generations. Everyone deals with loss and losing, it is the natural order of things. A person needs to able to deal with success and failure appropriately, to be able to make it in this world. If we take away the ability to learn and compete at a young age, we put our kids at a serious disadvantage in life.

    I have considered trying to organize a youth fishing tournament. A friendly day of fishing fun, so that I can expose some children to a lifestyle that has given me so much happiness, and so many rewards. I would love even more to make it an annual event. I need to look into finding a couple of sponsors that can help with the financial burden of such an endeavor, but it would be something I would enjoy a great deal.

    Thanks for reading, and thanks for the insight. It means a lot to me to know that my efforts with this blog have been appreciated. I'll be looking forward to your next post as well. We'll be seeing you around...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice reading your post about your past youth. I have never experienced the one you had with your father, but I didn't blame HIM for taking my father early when I was still three years old. What is always on my thoughts is not to let it happen to my 2 year old son and hopefully to my coming children. :) With that bow and arrow thing from you, perhaps I could teach my son too, someday. Or let me say, we could teach ourselves. LOL!

    You are right, seldom we can find archery enthusiasts nowadays. Blame it perhaps to kinect and other computer games? :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed the post. And I appreciate the the thoughtful comment.

      My father and I had a pretty rocky relationship for most of my life. Archery and fishing are probably the only things in my life that he was never critical of me over. I think in the long run it was his acceptance that was more important to me than the knowledge I gained. I think it was these activities and the bond we formed then, that allowed us to forgive each other later in life.

      So, by all means if you have knowledge, life skills, crafts, or whatever, pass them on. I think it is our duty to do so. But never be afraid to show pride in a child, don't hesitate to encourage, win or lose. Those are lessons that will last a life time.

      And we should never stop teaching ourselves... Cheers to you as well!

      Delete
    2. Wow, thanks very much for that Jon. I really felt those words from you. I will be taking it as a fatherly advise which I will be doing also as a father to my son.

      I agree with you, everyday is a learning process, therefore let's continue learning. :)

      Delete
  4. In 1987, I was 1 year old, LOL.
    I did not know about archery . It's a arrow and shooting thing, right ?
    Well , every sport teaches something .
    Loved reading your post.
    See ya around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have often thought over the years about getting a bow and trying to shoot again, especially now that I have a son. One of the things that stops me is the arm guard. Do you remember how black and blue my arm used to get before Dad made me that arm guard that went just about from armpit to wrist? I think more than anything I want to feel connected to the old man. Of course it will never be that again, so I will probably never shoot again. But I still miss it now and then.

    Now on the fishing note... the kids are looking forward to some fishing this year. As you well know I have enough children to qualify as a small tournament on their own! We could be your trial run!

    I love you little brother. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You already have a bow, you know... Maybe sometime we can actually get them out and shoot together. That could be fun...

    Traci, anytime you and the kids want to go fishing I'm game. Let me rephrase that, WHEN do you want to go... I'm game. You guys have time on Sunday afternoon??? Let me know, let's make a plan so we don't keep saying we should.

    Love you too, talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are an excellent story teller.

    ReplyDelete
  8. good post about

    My Life In A Snapshot 4

    ReplyDelete