Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Sunshine Blogger Award.

    I don't think anyone who knows me, I mean really knows me, would use the word sunshine as a descriptive. I guess it is a good thing that http://menopausalmother.blogspot.com/ doesn't know me... I connected with http://menopausalmother.blogspot.com/ on Bloggers.com. It's a great website for bloggers who want to meet other bloggers. Anyway, when I first joined the site she was one of the first people to welcome me to the site, and she was the first person I felt was genuine about it. As a courtesy for the warm welcome I went to her blog and read one of her posts. Then another, and another, and another... and I have been following her posts ever since. I have come to regard her as an exceptional writer, and a Grade A human being. She takes on real life issues, things that could be embarrassing, things that can be maddening, family trials, and bumps in the road, and whatever else life throws at her, and put's it all down in her blog. And while I don't know if she is always smiling when she is writing her posts, I can guarantee, you will smile when you read them. So, with that being said it is truly and honor for me to accept her award. I have also learned that http://menopausalmother.blogspot.com/ is a lover of squirrels, so in her honor, instead of posting pictures of thing that actually pertain to this post... Everywhere I might of posted a relevant picture, I will instead post a picture of a squirrel from my vast collection. (I do love to take pictures...)
    I have mentioned in previous posts, that my writing here is somewhat out of  character for me. For the most part I am a pretty quiet guy, I like to stay in the background and observe rather than be the center of attention. I am so quiet sometimes that I think people misjudge me at times, and think me unsocial, or unfriendly, maybe some think I might be a little slow if ya' know what I mean. And while I have never been one to keep my mouth shut when I feel like I, or someone I care about, is getting the shaft... I am not nearly as eloquent verbally as I can be with the keyboard. I don't blog to make money, I don't try to impress people, I'm not searching for fame and fortune... It doesn't suit me. I blog because it helps me organize my thoughts in a different way. I blog for the simple benefit of learning about myself. I like being able to go back and reread my posts and analyze my own thoughts from a different perspective. It has been a very enlightening experience for me. And if someone else can benefit from my ramblings then all the better. I always try to be real, and I always try to be honest, even if it ain't pertty. So, to receive recognition for my efforts here really is quite an honor for me. All in all, blogging has been a much better experience for me than I ever imagined it would be.
    As always, with anything that seems to be too cool, there is a catch attached to this award... It seems as though I have to answer some questions... Okay, okay, I'll answer them. I'm not scared... I've been through too much, you can't humiliate me or embarrass me any worse than I can myself. However, it also seems I must nominate ten other bloggers for this prestigious award. That might be a little harder... I am very picky about what I like, and very particular about who or what I will endorse. So to find ten bloggers that I think are exceptional out of the thousands I've looked at may not be as easy of a task as it sounds. But I think I can come up with some great people that fit the bill. I have found some blogs that I really like other than http://menopausalmother.blogspot.com/, although if it wasn't her who nominated me, she would be my first pick. I have to think about my nominations, so I'll start with the questions. There are ten of them, and they are:
    1. Q: What would you most like to change about yourself?
    1. A: Nothing, I'm perfect...Ahhh ha ha ha, he heee he, hoo ho ho, Bwaaah ha ha ha....ROTFFL... Just kidding... Uh, what would I change? There are too many things to just pick one, I think I would just like to go back to infancy and try the whole life thing over again.
   2. Q: What is your theme song?
    2. A: I never really thought about this, but I think Waylon Jennings song "Just a Good Ol' Boys" (theme song to the Dukes of Hazard) seems to fit. I never meant any harm you know... But I been in trouble with the law since the day I was born...
    3. Q: Name one part of your life, a memory, action, etc. that you wish you could surgically remove from your brain...
    3. A: Well I can't actually mention her name, she probably wouldn't appreciate it...Just joking again, maybe... Wait a minute isn't this the same as the first question.
    4. Q: What generation do you wish you had been a part of?
    4. A: Does the Cro-Magnon period count as a generation??? Sure seems like a simpler life to me.
    5. Q: What was your favorite childhood toy?
    5. A: I usually played with the boxes the toys came in more than the toys. I was pretty destructive and most of my toys didn't, and still don't last long. I did have a stuffed dog, named Turnip, that I just threw out last year. He had a pull string on his back, and he said things like "Give me a hug", "I wuv you", and "Let's take a nap"... In his later years his voice box broke and he said the same things just two hundred miles an hour, kinda like a record playing at 5X speed... It was one of the few childhood mementos that lasted into my adult life. Sadly, my cats destroyed Turnip beyond repair, and I had to put him to rest.
    6. Q: What is your favorite housecleaning chore?
    6. A: I like doing the dishes. And sweeping and mopping is a lot of fun... But I can't decide if I like cleaning litter boxes or toilets the most... What kind of question is this? I'm a red-neck fisherman, I love wallowing in squalor and filth... I don't even know what housecleaning really is...
    7. Q: Do you Twitter?
    7. A: Did you just call me a twit... I think you got the wrong guy... Um actually, I tweet on twitter, yes it's true... And you can follow me there on the sideboard of this page if you want. Although I don't really use twitter for much other than promoting this page.
    8. Q: Any goals?
    8. A: Yeah, I played a little street hockey, I scored a few times...
    9. Q: Do you really drink Margaritas all the time?
    9. A: Huh??? I get the feeling this question was originally intended for http://menopausalmother.blogspot.com/ when she was first nominated for this award. As I've seen her mention them a couple of times in her posts, but I'll play along... I have only had one Margarita in my life. My Brother took me out to a fancy dinner for my fortieth birthday. He love's a good Margarita and he said the place had the best around. He ordered them up for us and I really did try to be polite and drink it... But that thing was disgusting... I guess I'm not much of a drinker anyway, but no more Margaritas for me thanks... The food was fabulous by the way.
    10. Q: What is the ugliest car you have ever driven and were embarrassed to be seen in?
    10. A:  Best question yet... I drove a 79' Canadian built Mustang. It had a 1.8 ltr turbo engine. Sounds cool right... It wasn't. It was gray and rust colored. Because it was rusty. It didn't have anywhere that wasn't dented or dinged. The turbo sounded like a choking squirrel, and the only way you could drive it was if you could push it to get it started. As I said earlier, I'm not all that easy to embarrass. But I have to admit, I was a little embarrassed to be seen in it when I crashed it into the back of a brand new, shiny, red Acura that some nice mom was driving home to give to her daughter for her birthday...
    Okay, the easy part is over. Now the hard part. What I look for in a blog is for the writer to move me in some kind of way. I don't care about proper spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Those things mean nothing to me. If you want me to read your blog regularly, you have to make me laugh, or cry, or make me believe you are standing for something bigger than yourself. I want to connect with real people, with real issues, and real experience. I want you to make me think and view things in a different way than I might have if the subject had crossed my own mind. I don't care about fashion blogs, tech blogs, video game blogs, etc. I suppose they have their place in the Blogosphere but it's just not what I'm interested in. That being said here are my picks in no particular order, I find all these people to be outstanding.
    1. My friend at http://rumpunchdrunk.blogspot.com/ has a way of taking quite sensitive issues, and presenting them in a very thought provoking way. I think he was nominated for this award at the same time I was by the same person, but I second that nomination...
    2. My friend at http://www.owljones.com/ is a fellow fisherman, and extremely knowledgeable about it. He is hilarious, and has a little political fire that I love to see in people. Most of all I like him because he is real, and he says whats on his mind whether you like it or not. Take him or leave him he's Owl Jones.
    3. My friend at http://www.tokeofthetown.com/ Steve Elliot is a warrior for a cause that I believe in a great deal. He is my most reliable source of information on the Cannabis Battlefront, and someone I can often go to for a good laugh. He has one of the very few blogs that I followed before I was a blogger.
    4. My friend at http://blogtruth.wordpress.com/ Atticus Finch may not be the guy you go to for a healthy dose of laughter, but the title of his blog says it all. This man deals in truth and reality. Always thought provoking, he lays his cards on the table and makes the best of what he's got. Love it... Atticus... Hat's off buddy, hope everything is going okay for you.
    5. My Sister at http://traciwhitingisley.blogspot.com/ My sister is always inspiring to me. She has been my biggest supporter with my own blog, and in life as well. She'll give you something to think about. I hope you keep blogging Traci.
    6. My Friend at http://theamericanrose.blogspot.com/ Matt Rosario has an exceptionally well written blog. He comes straight at you with reality and reason. I have enjoyed his posts thoroughly.
    7. My friend at http://alaskapride.blogspot.com/ is a political blogger, who is not afraid to speak their mind about things that may not be so popular to speak your mind about. alaskapride is well written and informative, glad to have found the site.
    8. My friend at http://the-honest-bitch.blogspot.com/ The Honest Bitch is just that... Honest. And sarcastic. And catty. And funny. Her blog is my guilty pleasure. It's like my own little window into the working mind of a woman. Scary stuff I tell ya. And an awesome blog.
    9. My friend at http://crooklynscorner.com/ Is here because she loves Mixed Martial Arts and so do I. Great blog if your into such things.
    10. My friend at http://www.birdsofsaudiarabia.com/ I am a bird watcher after all. This site has some nice pictures of birds from the other side of the world. I love to learn and research my interests so this site fits that bill for me.
    Now that that is over there are just a few more things to say. In very bad form for a blogger, I very rarely leave comments on posts. The majority of people on this list probably didn't even know I read their blogs until right now. But as I said earlier, I'm quiet, I like to observe from the background. Just because I don't comment doesn't mean I'm not paying attention.
    I also get the feeling there isn't anyone on this list who will want to participate in answering silly questions and linking to so many people. I debated on it myself. Let me just say that I had more fun writing this post than I thought I would. I am a beginning writer, and I kind of took this as a creative writing assignment. Writing about something I ordinarily wouldn't, was challenging and enlightening. The rules of the award are that you answer the ten questions, and nominate ten to twelve bloggers yourself. No easy task... But that is how this was given to me, so that is how it goes to you.
    If you don't want to muck with it, don't have the time, it doesn't fit into the scheme of your blog, or you don't like the color of the award... It's all good by me. But please know that my sentiment in offering your blog an award is genuine. I sincerely think all of your blogs are worth recognition. And I will continue to read them whether you like it or not. But give it some thought, you might have some fun with it. I did.
    Marcia at http://menopausalmother.blogspot.com/ thank you. Your awesome. I hope you enjoy the post, and I hope it was worth waiting two months for.

12 comments:

  1. I don't think I would have made you get a margarita...

    Yea, that Mustang was something else. I forgot you had to push it to start it!

    - Your Brother

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan you are correct. It was not a Margarita, it was Martini... So I stand corrected. I have never had a Margarita, and it's Martinis that I find disgusting. But I don't know how anyone in the family could have forgotten me push starting that car every time I left the house. Thanks for checkin' in bub. I'll catch you later.

      Delete
  2. This is fabulous!!! OMG Jon, you really have a great sense of humor! So good to finally see it. This post had me cracking up!!! I think my favorite story is the one about Turnip!!! Hilarious! Please promise me you will continue to inject more humor like this in your blogs. Hey, I know life can be real sucky sometimes and we don't feel like laughing, but I've learned that it's either laugh or cry, and I choose to laugh at my situation rather than dwell on the negative stuff, because believe me, it's there!!! I'm not kidding when I say that humor literally saved my life...and no, I am not taking any anti-depressants!
    I have to thank you for all those FANTASTIC squirrel pictures!! I know it sounds silly but I cannot express what that meant to me that you remember how much I love the critters and did that for me! You are too kind! I will cherish your words here for a long time. You totally deserved this award and you rocked the questions! Thank you so much for playing along. Great job, my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One more thing...martinis do taste gross! Margaritas use tequila. Now THAT tastes great!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MM, thank-you. You always have such nice things to say... I really don't think I would be were I'm at with my blog today, if I had not connected with you. I don't mean to say that my reader list has increased dramatically, it's better than that. Your meaningful comments, and constant encouragement have inspired me to write when I didn't want to. You have inspired me to write about things that I might not have otherwise. And your own blog is a demonstration of writing artistry. I have, and I believe any blogger can, refer to your blog as an example of how a good blog should be. And I think any person can read your words, and be enriched by the content within them. If I could have a BBF, (best blogger friend) it would be you. Thanks, I'll be seeing you around I'm sure.

      Delete
  4. Thanks hun, Also love what you wrote. If I ever get around to writing a book I think I found the tag line lol :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of service. Always happy to help. Thank you for entertaining me so thoroughly with you own blog...

      Delete
  5. Hey Jon,

    Great post. I hope blogging continues to help you in all the ways it has helped me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that it will, Atticus, thank-you. Keep bringing those posts to my email... Awesome stuff.

      Delete
  6. Glad to read your posts again Jon and a big CONGRATS on your award. You truly deserve it.

    I loved your answer to No.1 question, a great thought if you could remember not to repeat the same mistakes again as you grew up though, otherwise you would have round 2 of the exact same life maybe, ha ha ha.
    No.6 - gave me a good laugh. Silly me, thought you were serious at first and was about to offer you to come over and have fun cleaning for me, but maybe next time.
    No.10 - I can just imagine the sheer embarrassment of crashing into that new car. Hope you made amends Jon!

    I've just seen what you wrote about me here. Thank you for putting me on your list . You have put a wonderful smile on my face. Although I love to blog, at times it isn't always easy trying to get my viewpoints across in a way that people can understand it clearly and be able to have a say. So I have been very frustrated on the best of days. It's people like you who help me to keep going so a BIG thank you for the mention. I have been given a number of awards but due to time constraints, personal life etc I have not been able to comply with the rules.

    One thing I must say. I have never seen such dedication from someone towards a friend in your Smoke and Mirror posts. I read them with my mouth wide open. This is what true friendship is all about. Someone who believes in you, and someone who is willing to do what they can to try to help in times of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rum Punch, always a pleasure to see you have visited. Thanks for taking the time to leave such a nice reply.

      In response to your inquiry about question ten... I groveled profusely. I was actually not at fault in the accident, but it did't make me feel any better about the situation. And I was still quite embarrassed to be seen in that car that day.

      For myself, there is nothing easy about blogging, I struggle with every post I write. I am also rewarded with every post I write, especially when people tell me I put a smile on their face. That is something I love to do, and that makes the whole experience worth it.

      I can't thank you enough for the kind words about the Smoke and Mirrors posts. Those posts are really quite special to me. It was out of dedication to my friend in the beginning, and through out the trial. But it was also out of dedication to my own liberties, and my freedom, which I felt and still feel are in jeopardy, that helped spark the passion I had with that experience. I had to say things like "it changed my life", but I believe it did just that. Thank you for reading, and a sincere thank-you for your insight into them.

      Good luck to you, in all you do.

      Delete
  7. Get daily suggestions and guides for making THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS per day FROM HOME for FREE.
    GET FREE ACCESS TODAY

    ReplyDelete