Yesterday (Wednesday), the defense continued their cross-examination of Dan Marray. Piatek's attorney finished his cross. Mikes Attorney took his turn. David Stone Jr.'s attorney took his turn. David Stone Sr.'s attorney began his cross and the day ended with him. Tina Stone's attorney passed on his cross, as did Chris Sickle's attorney.
You know, it occurred to me yesterday while sitting in the court, during the course of this investigation Dan Murray probably broke more laws than all the members of the Hutaree combined. It hasn't been shown that any one of these guys has committed one act of violence, ever. The only things I have seen any proof of are a few illegal rifles, and on occasions when they did night training and "sneak and peaks" they might trespass on neighboring properties. The flash bombs they were using... I don't know the actual legality of them. They were black powder in card board tubes...fireworks. Hardly "weapons of mass destruction." It has been shown that Dan Murray at least shot in the direction of (if not at) his wife, and was convicted of felony firearms charges during this investigation. He cut his wife with a knife, and then stabbed himself in the stomach and said his wife did it. His medical records indicate he may have even killed someone. Oh, and I almost forgot... He didn't pay his taxes.
Anyway, Piatek's attorney cited at least another ten meets and/or trainings that were introduced as evidence were Tom Piatek was not even present. Tom Piatek lives in Indiana, and it doesn't sound to me like he even met with the guys from the Hutaree more than a few times over the course of the whole investigation. I don't know him, and I certainly can't identify him by voice, but I can't recall one direct reference to Tom Piatek in any of the recordings. And if he has spoke in the recordings it was certainly not anything I took note of, seems to me if he were involved in some "seditious conspiracy" he might have a little more input than showing up to shoot with the guys a few times.
Mike's (Meeks) attorney started by questioning Murray's motives in working for the FBI and exposing himself to potentially situations. He pointed out that in Murray's regular job he earned a six figure salary, so he didn't need the money. He pointed out that it caused Murray to be dishonest with his wife, and placed great stress on their relationship. Murray was a successful professional photographer. He also showed that Murray was a successful martial arts competitor. Murray liked guns and "playing army" from a young age. He carried a CCW (permit to carry concealed weapons). He asked Murray why he did what he did with the FBI. Murray stated that it was the right thing to do. Attorney Sitawa then pointed out that Murray was getting paid large sums of cash to do something he loved to do. He also pointed out in a therapy session after his involvement with militia investigations Murray had said that "he missed the adrenaline rush."
Mr. Sitawa then made an attempt to introduce the 911 call from the night Murray cut his wife and stabbed himself. The prosecution was successful at shutting him down.
Attorney Sitawa then proceeded to refer to at least a half a dozen instances when Stone Sr. stated the war was going to start, or bullets were going to fly, or they were going to have to kill people, and after each instance asked Murray if there was a war we that we haven't heard about yet.
He also pointed out several meetings, trainings, and recorded conversations that Mike was not even present for.
Attorney Sitawa then referred to a meet that Murray attended in Manchester. Murray was not wired with a mic or camera. I believe he stated it was his third(?) contact with the Hutaree. Murray claimed that at this meet he was so frightened that he thought if he stepped on one Stones chiuauas that someone might shoot him. Murray claimed that at this meet some one shot at or towards the group he was standing in. He claimed that when he was ready to leave someone escorted him off the property in a car back to his car, he said there was someone in the backseat with a 9mm pointed at his head and their finger was on the trigger. I have a hard time believing all this happened and he returned, or even more, that the FBI would send him back into a situation like that. Pretty convenient that none of this was recorded, and none of the recordings that they have shown have had any activities of this nature. When Murray was asked why he thought the FBI sent him back in to such a dangerous situation, Murray stated it was because he was good at reporting the truth...Mr. Sitawa asked if that was kinda like when he blamed his wife for stabbing him. That one kinda pissed prosecuting attorney Light off. He objected for being argumentative. Maybe he was...But I enjoyed it.
It was shown that all the emergency emails, the "red alerts", the calls to action, Mike never received them. He didn't even have his own Internet access to receive emails.
There was an incident I wrote about in an earlier post, where Mike was talking about the judicial system and pedophiles and stated that they all should die, Sitawa referred to this recording and asked Murray about mikes mood when he was making these statements. Murray indicated that Mike was laughing and joking around, and added Mike was often like that.
David Stone Jr.'s attorney was next. I feel sorry for this kid. Why he's even in the courtroom is beyond me. Much less any of the other guys. His attorney was rather brief, but straight to the point. To me it's been one of the most powerful arguments of the entire trial.
He touched on several thing, but all things that have been addressed earlier in the trial. He also made a point to show how excited and proud David Jr. was of the aspect of being a new father. But it was really three questions that summed his defense up for me.
1. Mr. Murray have you ever heard David Stone Jr. say one bad word about the government...No
2. Have you ever heard him say one bad word about the police...No
3. Mr. Murray in your entire eighteen month investigation with the Hutaree, have you ever heard David Stone Jr. say one bad word about anyone?...No, I don't believe so...
I was going to try to write about yesterday and today in this post. But it has gotten late fast, and the morning comes early. I'd rather see the conclusion of what was started today before I write about it anyway. I still need to cover attorney Swor. And the physical evidence team leader took the stand today and I'd like to see all the physical evidence before I get down to the nitty gritty. So I think I will stop hear for the night. Every day I sit in the courtroom I am more and more in disbelief of what is happening. Since these events began more than two years ago I have talked to a number of people about this case. I've talked to people who believe that these guys rights are being violated. I have also talked and debated with people who think these guys should hang. None of these people have any first hand experience with this case. I have not talked to a single person who has actually sat in the courtroom that doesn't think these guy's are getting screwed. They are getting screwed.
I'm looking forward to hearing about today and yesterday in court. I can't get this whole thing off my mind. Thanks, bro.
ReplyDeleteTraci
Thanks sis, I'll have it up before I go to bed tonight. It eats at ya doesn't it...Love ya.
Delete