Sunday, March 4, 2012

In My Spare Time


   One of the things I enjoy doing is gardening. It's not something I do in my spare time really, but I do have a couple of gardens I tend for part time work. There's something about working the ground and making something grow that is just good for my frame of mind.

   Another thing I enjoy is taking pictures. I don't necessarily do that in my spare time either, I'm apt to take pictures at anytime. I am not a professional photographer, just a shutterbug. I don't have any training, I just play around with the camera and sometimes I get lucky.




   But since I enjoy gardening and photography, what better way to spend some of my spare time taking pictures of flowers. The pictures are never as nice as the real thing, but they are a nice reminder. And it's the only way to share the view with someone who didn't get the pleasure to see first-hand.




   There are some people (like my brother) who don't understand my enjoyment in this pastime. There are some (like my brother) that imply I must be a little light in the loafers, if you know what I'm saying. All I have to say to those people (like my brother) is I hope you understand someday what your missing. I know he's joking with me...That's the way we are. But I do think he's missing out. Again, there's something that's good for my frame of mind in the act of  enjoying something simple, and beautiful.




   These pictures were taken in the gardens I work in, and in my Mother's yard that she works in. But I go to Mathaei Botanical Gardens, and Hidden Lake Gardens when I can. I'm apt to take pictures of water lilies while I'm out fishing, or stop and take a picture in the woods while I'm on a bike ride. If I have a camera with me, and I see a cool flower, I'll probably take a couple of pictures.




   I feel fortunate to live in a place, and be in a situation, where I can look around me everyday and see something beautiful. That's not an option for everyone. No matter who you are, or where your from, life can be tough. Life can be nearly unbearable. And it can end...in an instant. But there are moments in time when life can beautiful, and it's these moments we live for.




   I believe if everyone took the time to look around themselves every day, just long enough to find some thing beautiful, we would live in a better world. Idealistic huh? Maybe, but it's true, most people would be less apt to destroy something beautiful, if they just knew it was there.




   My biggest smiles, heartiest laughs, and most intense pleasures, have come from the simplest things. Enjoy simple and beautiful things while you can. A time may come in your life when you don't have that option. As your making your way through the tangled web we weave, do yourself a favor, stop and enjoy something beautiful. Take the time to stop and smell the roses...Or whatever else is available.



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures, Jon. You ought to submit them somewhere.
    Traci

    ReplyDelete