My bike and I have been on many adventures. I don't drive (by choice) so if I go somewhere I go with someone or I go on my bike. I have gotten some strange looks in the past, overladen with gear, fishing poles bungee'd to the frame of my bike, peddling through downtown Ypsi. But I have never been one to care what others think of what I'm doing. (For the most part.) I enjoy myself and that's what matters. And over time I've got a little better about packing light. I also have a couple of telescopic rods that fit right in my pack now, so I no longer have to strap six and eight foot fishing poles to the frame of my bike. Not to say that I wouldn't if I felt the need...
Anyway, on with my day... I got to the pond and someone was in my favorite spot. That seems to happen more and more often. This is a very unassuming pond. It's the kind of place that people ask, "Do you really catch fish out of here?" Well, yes I do... And over the years people have seemed to catch on to this fact, and it's gotten to where it's unusual to not see someone else fishing in my not so secret anymore spot.
I'm not complaining, I always encourage anyone to take up fishing. And I'm pretty willing to share information and locations, to get someone on a good fishing hole. But here's a warning to all you fishermen, if you want your "honey hole" to stay that way... Keep quiet. I use to catch four to six pound bass here regularly, now days what you see here is the norm. I didn't see a four pounder from this pond all last year. Their still there... just not as many of them. And they have become highly educated fish.
( See, I told you my self portraits are scary...) Almost all the fishing I do is catch and release. Every once in a while I'll take some wallies or some pan fish home, but maybe only once a year. And every year I bring home a few salmon from salmon camp. The vast majority of my fishing though, I take a picture and put them back. I see a lot of people who keep everything they catch. I don't get it... But what's worse than that is the people (and I know a few) who don't even intend to eat their catch, and they throw their fish up on the shore or on the ice, and leave it lay. If you do this, you are an ass, and you ruin it for everyone else. That is a complaint.
I did pretty good this day. I caught a couple of Crappies, and a ton of little Large Mouth Bass. I probably caught in the range of twenty or so bass that were five or six inches long. Almost every cast for a while. And while I did have fun, I am a big fish fan. I like to fish for the fight. I like bass that are five pounds or better, I like those big ol' cats, and I love the feel of a three foot carp on ten pound test line. And there is nothing like wading in the river fighting a twelve pound steelie, or a twenty-five pound salmon. You catch one of those, and you know your in for a fight. But I do enjoy riding my bike around to local waters and seeing what I can pull out of that water nearly as much.
I also like to find these little fishing holes where catching fish is petty easy, so that when it comes to taking my nieces and nephews fishing, I can bring them somewhere that they are going to have fun. And somewhere close to home if they don't have fun. If a kid goes fishing and doesn't catch fish, they don't want to do it again. But if you can keep them entertained with dinks and panfish until they catch their first "big" fish, well, then you got them hooked for life. And I can't think of a better or healthier past time than fishing for a kid to enjoy.
I fished until I threw my favorite inline spinner into a tree and broke it off. Sometimes I can recover them by reaching out over the water, or by recasting to that branch with a treble hook and some heavy duty braid. Today when my line broke I watched my lure fall from the tree and disappear into the depths. No big deal really, inline spinners are cheap. But I believe in "lucky" lures, or that some lures just work better than others of the same kind. Maybe the make a slightly different sound, or have a slightly different flash or wobble. I don't know, but every once in a while you come across a lure that just seems to catch a lot of fish, and replacing it with another lure of the same make and size does not always seem to work out. But I got my three dollars worth of fun out of that one, so I'm okay with it. But I took it as a sign that I had enough for the day, and I went home. But I will go back, I always go back...
Some great photo classes are a part of the journalism program at WCC... you know I am going to keep putting that bug in your ear about college don't you?
ReplyDeleteI am going to take the photo program in the fall. Looking into a Canon Rebel, any thoughts?
Hey Ben, Sorry it has taken so long to reply, I've been out of the loop for a minute. Please don't stop with the encouragement. Everyone needs a little push in the right direction sometimes...
DeleteTo tell the truth I don't know much about cameras. I have heard the Rebel is a nice camera. But it is expensive. Way out of my budget. I have a friend who has one and loves it though.
I have a few cameras. I have an old Cannon AE-1, it's a manual focus camera, I don't use it much anymore because my eyes are going bad. If I focus it so my eye sees clearly the pictures come out blurry. Time for new glasses... I also have a Fujifilm Finepix T, it is very small and I can stick it in my pocket and take it anywhere. The one I use most now is my Nikkon Coolpix L120, it's just a point and shoot, but I really like it. 14 megapixel with a 21X zoom. It does pretty much whatever I need it to. Anyway, good luck in your class. Stay in touch... We still need to hit the river with some fishing poles...
I tried fishing a very long time ago but it wasn't for me. We sat in the cold in the middle of Berkshire, England for hours and didn't catch a thing, and to make matters worse, we had to be very silent.
ReplyDeleteIt's great if you like to ponder over your thoughts though and better if you catch fish.
Like you, I think that people should either catch to eat or throw it back. What a waste to leave it on the shore. Lovely post, I enjoyed reading with photos.
I will fully agree, the amount of fun you have fishing depends on many things. Who your with, the temperature, whether you catch anything or not, location. There are many factors that apply. My love of fishing has been developed over many years, and many fishing trips, and catching many fish... But I'd be lying if I told you I've never had a bad time fishing. It happens. I think you should give it another chance. Find an experienced fisherman and go when and where you will actually catch fish... And I can almost guarantee you'll have a blast. Then again nothing is for everyone. Thanks for reading, and thanks for the comment...
Delete