Thursday, February 16, 2012

Smoke and Mirrors 3

 

Seditious conspiracy (18 U.S.C. § 2384) is a crime under US law.
“If two or more persons in any State or Territory, or in any place subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, conspire to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, or to oppose by force the authority thereof, or by force to prevent, hinder, or delay the execution of any law of the United States, or by force to seize, take, or possess any property of the United States contrary to the authority thereof, they shall each be fined or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.”



   Today the cross-examination of Leslie Larson was completed, the prosecution will have a chance to redirect tomorrow. 
   The day started with a little bantering between lawyers before the jury was allowed to come out. A lot of the discussions about legal discrepancies happen without the jury present so as not to influence the jury incorrectly. Things like different interpretations of laws, or whether something can or can't be allowed to be introduced as evidence, and why. Today an issue came up again that has come up several times already, defense has repeatedly asked the prosecution for the FBI's rules manuscript for the use of an under-cover informant. The prosecution has been reluctant to produce this. Today the judge told prosecution they had to provide the information, and if it was of a classified nature it was still to be submitted to her for review.
    They also discussed the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office continued lack of cooperation, I didn't quite understand everything but it seemed further efforts were to be made to gain cooperation.
    Much of the cross-examination was spent comparing the Southeast Michigan Volunteer Militia and the FBI's investigation of them to the Hutaree and this investigation. Dan Murray was the undercover informant on both investigations. When he was first implanted into the SMVM, Murray reported to the FBI that the SMVM was heavily armed, and well equipped. As the investigation continued it was reported that they did organized military drills. That they were in possession of a .30 cal machine gun. It was reported that they had punji pits. For those that don't know what a punji pit is, it's a deep pit with the opening disguised, and spikes staked in the bottom of the pit so that one is impaled when falling in. It was also shown that the SMVM had printed rules of engagement, reasons that they would engage the government in armed conflict.
    When Murray was implanted into the Hutaree, his initial report was that the Hutaree was a lot of hot air, that they posed no threat as they were ill equipped and lacked resources. Maybe that's why the FBI had to provide Murray with funds and a Van so the Hutaree could go to the Kentucky Summit. Maybe that's why the IED that the Hutaree was in possession of was provided by the FBI's under-cover agent. I don't know about Federal Law but I know this, if a cop gave me a bag of weed and then arrested me for it, it would be a pretty clear case of entrapment, don't you think? The Hutaree had no written or printed rules of engagement against the government that have been shown to the court yet. But Agent Larson was quick to point out that the Hutaree's drills were more organized than the SMVM.
   Does this all seem ass backwards to anyone else?
   The defense also cited more emails and correspondences within the FBI that further demonstrated, the agents unethical and prejudicial treatment of their investigation. One of which stated something along the lines of - I want to see if they'll take the bait so we can nail them.
   As always there is more than I can write here. I want to clarify that none of this is word for word, I've been  taking notes, and write from them. But I also am not just blowing smoke, I've sat in the court everyday listening to everything very closely. I may not get everything exactly right, but this is as accurate as I can be about things.
    I know there are people checking in here who really care for, and love Mike. I want to tell you all he looks pretty good. Not like we get to visit or anything, but from what I can tell he's doing well. He has a great team of lawyers running the defense, and he has the moral support of  friends and family sitting in the benches. Mrs. Meeks has been a trooper. She has been there everyday with a smile on her face and a positive attitude. She is AWESOME, I know this has to be so hard for her. All of Mikes brother's have been up, and I think Doug eats, drinks, and breathes this case. Mikes aunt has also been up all week as well. Mr. Meeks was there for opening arguments but his health prevents him from making the drive daily, or I know he would be there too. Matt Anderson has also been up everyday, and has brought Debbie a couple of times as well. There has been a good show of support for Mike. I still encourage anyone else to come as well, not only would Mike appreciate the support, but this case really needs the public eye in the courtroom.
   Main stream media has these guys hung out to dry already, they paint a pretty ugly picture, especially if it is your only source of info. I'm doing the best I can, but I may get it wrong too. If you want the facts, come and get 'em. Don't be fooled by the smoke and mirrors, don't be lulled into accepting sensationalized stories designed for network ratings. Don't believe the hype...Educate yourself.

3 comments:

  1. Jon Thanks for your support the whole family appreciates it very much and thanks for trying to get an accurate view of the court proceedings I still can't believe the lack of press coverage you would think some of the bombshell emails would make it into the mainstream media but they really havent yet . I guess I will see you in the morning for court Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jon, I can't tell you how much it means to have your updates on the trial. I'm Mike's cousin and I'm a LONG way from home. The family keeps me informed, but like you say, no one can say it all, so you are an important source for me. Especially, as Greg says, since the press hasn't been nearly so quick to report the dodgy side of this investigation as they have been to endlessly repeat the trumped up charges. And I loved hearing about Aunt Sylvia and my mom and cousins and Uncle Roy! Thanks again! Ginie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, I just wish I knew of more I could do. I'll keep doing what I can. Thanks for reading.

      Delete